PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed box to Subaru

cormac163
November 15th 2003, 10:20
Has anyone got an opinion on whether to mate a berg 5 speed to a subaru conversion or a porsche 5 speed box???? i am getting the body cut for the subaru and it would make sense to do the tranny at the same time. The car is a 1303s.
Thanks
Cormac

Rob
November 15th 2003, 17:29
Since there are adapters to mate a Sube to a stock VW tranny, you could get a Berg 5, and an adapter and hook it all up together.

Rob.

ricola
November 17th 2003, 04:46
Go with a Porsche 'box. Since you are cutting up the car anyway a bit of extra fabrication should be within your abilities. Given the option, I would always got for stock high performance parts adapted to fit your car. Would also be cheaper. I'd also go with a G50, might be overkill, but will be in better condition and is a better shift that the earlier 'boxes...

Rich

cormac163
November 17th 2003, 19:07
Hey rich who did you get the conversion from or did you do it yourself. I want to get a 5 speed box without the arrest for reverse so i can get a starter button into the shifter?!
why are we all power mad???!!!
Would you say there is much involved in adapting the car to fit the box obviously its longer to fit the extra gear. and what is a G50?
cheers
cormac

ricola
November 18th 2003, 04:53
Yup, I did all the conversion work myself, not hard really, used a KEP conversion kit. In the speedster I was able to avoid cutting out the torsion bar but I would definitely advise going that way for better weight distribution. I used the proper 915 shifter that has a sprung centre so no reverse lock-out (unless you try to get into reverse from fifth!).

The G50 was the successor to the 915, it is a fair bit bigger but has been fitted to bugs before. You can also get it as a 6 speed and it's good for 600bhp!

Hope this helps...
Rich

cormac163
November 18th 2003, 06:10
Any ideas of where a 6 speed G50 would be available? i MEAN would a breakers have one and how much do you think i would have to fork out?
thanks for all the help and i would love to see your speedster in action. Have you any videos.
cormac

ricola
November 21st 2003, 06:43
No, I don't have any videos and it now lives in the Channel Islands (Jersey) where there is a 40mph speed limit :eek:

Try the usual Porsche breakers for a 6 speed G50 or maybe ebay...