PDA

View Full Version : Tilton dual pedal assembly

Sandeep
November 20th 2003, 16:05
Hi All,

I'm trying to solve my master cylinder dilema and was looking through the interior gallery and saw a blue Remelle bug with what looks to be a Tilton pedal assembly.

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/0246.jpg

I've checked out Tilton's website and found the floor mounted assembly comes with 3 M/C's, 2 for front and rear brakes and one for hydraulic clutch. It comes with a brake bias bar to adjust bias between front and rear brakes (no pressure valve needed).

http://www.tiltonracing.com/brake/pedals.html

This will solve my brake problem but I would have to convert to a hydraulic clutch. No problem though as they supply the slave cylinder aswell.

So, anyone have any experience with fitting these or am I going to have to jump in and find out for myself ? :eek:

Thanks for any input.

Sandeep

Alex
November 20th 2003, 16:25
How much are they? Did you think about the gas pedal assembly like modifying a stock unit?

Alex

Sandeep
November 20th 2003, 17:02
I can get it delivered with a 23.8mm front M/C, a 22.8mm rear M/C and a 19mm M/C for the clutch, with a balance bar and remote bias adjuster, and a pull-type slave cylinder for the clutch for less than $450 USD.

I would modify the stock pedal assembly to leave just the throttle pedal. I'm looking at the mounting drawings in great detail and will measure it out on the pan tonight but it looks like it will fit.

The whole problem with my brake setup is finding a M/C that is the correct size for the rear.

Sandeep

hybrid_john
November 20th 2003, 23:05
Hey the assembly looks nice, and for that price, should work like a dream...

I've been looking for an assembly like that for a while...

Tell me how what its like when you get it:)

Alex
November 21st 2003, 00:44
The big problem I see is that your gas pedal will sit further to the front of the car than the other pedals because you have the MCs that are behind it unless you cut into the firewall.

Alex

super vw
November 21st 2003, 03:56
If your worried by the gas pedal being farther forward than maybe a "wings" gas pedal is a good thing to look into, you can get them in a skinny size and one with an extra little flap to help aid in heal and toe. my father has one on his Porsche 911. they are around 100 bucks but they work great for heal and toe if you get the one with the extra flap.
Check out some of the porsche mags, i think i have seen them in a few adds.

Sandeep
November 21st 2003, 09:47
I took measurements last night of the stock assembly and the measurements from the Tilton drawings. Results:

The VW assembly fits in a space roughly 9" deep, 9" wide and 9" tall. This includes the gas pedal.

The Tilton assembly is about 6" deep, 9" wide and 10.5" tall. No gas pedal. When you add the compact M/C's (23.8mm x 2 and 19mm x 1) the assembly ends up being about 9.25" deep, so no cutting of the firewall. The pedals will be about 1" taller.

The hydraulic clutch then operates like normal, M/C to slave .. just bolt it in and go.

As for the width of the assembly, I would have to move it to the left by 2 " to fit the stock beetle gas pedal. Does not look like a big deal but will investigate further tonight.

If you look at the drawings closer, you may be able to cut the assembly into seperate brake and clutch systems ... there is enough support and mounting studs so this would make the assembly narrower so maybe this is an option instead of moving the assembly to the left by 2"

Looks like this is the answer I'm looking for. I have to replumb the brake system anyways (30 yr old lines) so whats a little bit more work ... :D

Stay tuned !!

Sandeep

kenfyoozed
December 17th 2003, 16:37
sandeep,

did you ever find out if the gas pedal will work? or what have you decided to do?

neil

Sandeep
December 17th 2003, 16:56
The stock beetle gas pedal will work .. no problem there. I am trying to get a better deal on the M/C's before I order the assembly.

I'm also looking at duplicating a 'Remote Mount' M/C assembly .. this is basically a mounting platform that houses the 2 M/C's with bias bar and adjuster, and has a solid rod that connects to your stock brake pedal. You can mount this assembly on the front beam (or any other suitable location) and then replumb your brake lines and add the solid rod from the balance bar to your stock pedal.

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/balancepic.jpg

This pic is from the Wilwood website.

Benefit is cheaper cost (only 2 M/C's to buy) and you use stock gas, clutch and brake pedals, so its very stealth.

I'll probably go this route as I can weld up the mounts ising 1/8 - 1/4" steel plate. My welding and fabricating time is free.

I'll do a tech article when its all done .. I'm just finishing up the design now.

Sandeep

Sandeep
February 1st 2004, 12:16
Thought I would post an update on my progress so far.

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/MCBox1.jpg

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/MCBox2.jpg

After lots of different designs, this is what I came up with. It will fit perpendicular to the stock brake pedal (why mess with something that works) on the fuel tank side of the front bulkhead. I need to fab up the pivot for the balance bar and a 90 degree bellcrank to convert the brake pedal's movement to match the assembly. The whole deal will bolt on and then I have to run the brake lines.

I made the MC Box a little larger than the mc's because this will allow room for final adjustment to get the balance bar fitted.

I'm using Wilwood components ... 25.4mm mc (f) and 22.22mm mc (r) with balance bar and remote bias adjuster.

More details when I progress futher :righton:

Sandeep

hybrid_john
February 2nd 2004, 00:34
It's looking good man :cool:

I wonder if it would be easier to use a pedal system like that for right-hand drive cars? :p

KUDOS!

John

boygenius
February 2nd 2004, 01:03
It's looking good man :cool:

I wonder if it would be easier to use a pedal system like that for right-hand drive cars? :p

KUDOS!

John

Try contacting some shops in the UK, they might be able to locate you a set of stock RHD pedals. :)

hybrid_john
February 2nd 2004, 16:10
Try contacting some shops in the UK, they might be able to locate you a set of stock RHD pedals. :)

Good idea Brendan, do you have any shops in mind?
I'll start looking

John

boygenius
February 2nd 2004, 18:14
The first one that comes to mind is LA Performance.