PDA

View Full Version : website and rules

zen
November 21st 2003, 15:31
i have done some website updates including but not limited to:
1. correcting some grammar
2. adding new member profiles
3. converted all profile thumbnails to GL.com usernames instead of real names to make it easier to find someone you know
4. added second member page to house the new member profiles (look for the "more" button on the right just under the thumbnails

AND

after some discussion at Bug Jam, we decided that we should not have the rule on removing body trim. the VKG still wants to ensure a "style" within the club so people know when they are looking at a VKG car and even prefer a smooth look, but we all agree that having trim does not detract from being GL or a VKG car.

we are also having some discussion on truing up the rules to ensure quality cars and club integrity in all VKG cars. we want to make sure all are proud to have a VKG car and that no one is hanging their head when parking next to another VKG car in a show. we know everyone has a build process and differing abilities to complete a car in a timeframe (some are a year, some are 10, some never end), but honestly, we just want to make sure that no one is throwing a set of rims and a steering wheel on a car and calling it a GL car.

we are not sure what structure this will take yet, but it will not be radical rule changes. we just need to build a workable formula to make sure all members have addressed all areas of their cars. your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

stay tuned.

vujade
November 21st 2003, 17:27
I agree with this completely.

Zen, I was just reading something about an old skool cal look club called DKK (Der Kleiner Kampfwagens) and they didnt let club members sport their club stickers on their cars until the were show worthy.

What do you all think abou that?

kenfyoozed
November 21st 2003, 19:08
im a new member, but i agree with vujade. i think only members with finished rides should sport the logo of the club. i know it will be a while before i will park my car next to you guys cars. i wouldnt want to bring you down. but being a member i think those who are aspiring to get there cars ready could possibly sport a logo on thier car showing what club they are in and where they want thier car to be when finished. so could we possibly make class distenctions? posiibly a low mid and high class with the classes being some form of a german word. and you can can only enter a higher class after passing a judging test. that way you could move up over time. and only those in certain class could join the vkg show cars at a show as a group. lower class cars could still show yet not with the group.

sorry for the long post....

any ideas?

neil

boygenius
November 21st 2003, 19:52
How about only letting finished cars wear a windshield logo and let work in progress cars wear a rear quarter window sticker.;)

zen
November 21st 2003, 22:11
all interesting ideas. the sticker ideas definitely have their appeal and it would be just a matter of defining when it qualifies. the class idea is interesting too. although we will seldom be able to show as a group as most shows force cars into a class based on year/model. there are some though.

here is one thought we threw around at Bug Jam. the rule/guidelines are already broken into categories. we thought of requiring either a certain number of mods per category or total number overall (although this doesn't support the importance of addressing all systems as a package instead of throwing all of the mods at appearance or only performance). we also thought of a scoring system like solo racing.

not looking to overly complicate things. just looking to keep things to a respectable standard to keep the club image respectable.

Pillow
November 21st 2003, 23:15
Am I "grandfathered" in? :) LOL

Just needs a little rocker repair and paint!

So far all the VKG cars I have seen are very nice or in the middle of a GL transformation so I am not sure if it will have any impact today...?

Just to be devils advocate, we do not want to end up being a bunch of trailer queeners either (like some other groups we know). And as drivers they will not remain perfect, but that is okay.

vujade
November 22nd 2003, 08:14
Adrian I agree completely. But, what Zen is talking about is the overall completeness of the car. Not whether it is a queen or not.

Basically a car that hasnt just thrown on a set of Prsche wheels & thats it as far as mods go.

Pillow
November 22nd 2003, 22:15
>Basically a car that hasnt just thrown on a set of Prsche wheels & thats it as far as mods go.<

Amen, to that! At the Bug Jam there were numerous cars running Fuchs or twists that were just lame old drilled drums! Weeeeeak!

I totally agree with the black balling of posure (sp) GL cars. Drilled drums and adapter plate cars need not apply ;)

Panelfantastic
November 23rd 2003, 00:07
I think the members all want to put forth the best image for our group. No one wants to show a vehicle that doesn't express thier true talent and best effort. The guidlines are very few and should be a no-brainer for anyone even considering being a part of the Germanlook crowd. Those few items aren't things you HAVE to HAVE, they are standard things you should already be doing if you enjoy this style... the guidelines have already been tweaked a little and might be amended yet again, but the fundamental German styling has got to stay true.

The funny thing to me is, a true GL car is usually really subtle . I have to tell my friends "that car has the German look".