PDA

View Full Version : e-brake cable issues

Pillow
November 21st 2003, 22:56
It has come down to custom time on the e-brake cables for my '66 Split and rear 944 arms and brakes.

Essentially what do you all use as a clamp for an e-brake cable?

My plan is to use 3/4 stock VW cable and clamp the last 1/4 as a 944 cable so it fits into the brake assembly perfectly.

I imagine the off-road dune guys have a million solutions to this issue :)

Thanks,

Sandeep
November 22nd 2003, 00:20
I just did this last week .. in the brake gallery you will see what a 944 stock end thingy looks like. Its the peice that has a hole in it and connects to the brake shoes.

I built up the end with a welder and then used a dremel to notch it for the stock beetle brake end. The way it is notched, there is no way for the beetle end to come off. It looks somewhat like a 'swan' ...

I then bought some spacers from Alex to take up the slack in the cable where it enters the 944 ebrake assembly. I could have shortened the stock 944 brake tube with the welber but the price was right for the parts.

Hope this makes sence. Check the brake gallery for descriptions on the peices I'm talking about.

Sandeep

Pillow
November 22nd 2003, 21:54
very good solution Sandeep!

That way I can keep the stock cables and end up pretty close.

No clamps either :)

Time for some Dremel work.

Thanks!

MattKab
November 25th 2003, 15:15
I too am a big fan of unmodified, stock cables with 944 brakes!

Matt

Pillow
December 4th 2003, 01:04
One cable done tonight.

Painful to do... Glad I have a lot of different tools! Dremel, files, and 4" cutoff wheel on a grinder.

I will hopefully have some pics to post soon.

... Fitting will be tomorrow, I guess I should not get too excited until that is done :(

Later,

Sandeep
December 4th 2003, 10:00
I used my MIG at the lowest heat setting and gradually built up the weld, then used the dremel to shape it.

The first one took me about 1/2 hr because of the cutting and fitting, but the second one took about 15 mins because I used the first one as a template.

Sandeep

Hebster52
November 27th 2007, 02:55
I reread your post several times and tried to check the photos in the gallery but I just dont seem to understand what you really did... :lmao:

I would love to get some more info about this..
(I know it is an old post but the tech info is good, just need to understand it too...:D )

Sunroof53
November 27th 2007, 07:49
Hi,It will look somthing like this:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/sqeeter/DSC02757.jpg~original
You can buy them from vdub engineering if you dont want the hassle.

Hebster52
November 28th 2007, 07:32
Thanks! That cleared it up for me. I went through my parts yesterday and I saw the 944 parts too so all I need to do is to mod them. ;)

kendy
January 5th 2008, 06:30
Do you have any diameters of it? I can make AutoCAD file and publish it

Steve C
January 5th 2008, 08:44
Hi

I bought a set from Veedub Engineering, they work great. On my last car I just bolted the stock handbrake cable to stock 944 lever with a high tensile 6 mm bolt, it worked OK. I still find that the 944 E brake holds OK on hill, but has little affect if I pull it on at any speed.

Steve

kendy
January 5th 2008, 08:54
Im living in Europe and shipping from USA will cost more than parts :/
I can cut it on my CNC

pantswagen
January 9th 2008, 21:24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pantswagen/Sent07-001.jpg