PDA

View Full Version : My troubles...

hybrid_john
November 30th 2003, 02:04
OK... heres the deal, I bought some carbon fiber cloth so I can start to practice with it and get good enough (hopefully) to make my own front air-dam for my car. The thing is that I can't seem to find a resin good enough to work properly in conjunction with the carbon fiber.
And another thing, I need to make a mold for my air ducts, and air-dam, but I do not know how or where to start, I've worked with fiber glass before and got it down pretty good, but carbon fiber is another thing.
Doese any one out there know a thing or two to answer my questions? Professionals PLEASE, non-pros welcome!:D :confused:

John

kenfyoozed
November 30th 2003, 23:52
i have never worked with carbon or fiberglss resin but i have used epoxy resin in the past for boat building and laminating. the only thing about epoxy is that if you have high humidity or cold it probably will not cure clear. so im sure this was of no help, so sorry.

neil

hybrid_john
December 1st 2003, 00:18
It's ok man, just about everything helps right now, even though I knew this doesn't mean you "can't" remind me every once in a while! Thanx:D

Carbon Joe
December 1st 2003, 12:04
I use West System 105 Resin on some of my parts, it's easy to work with and it's not to expensive http://westsystem.com/ and I get some of my materials from U.S. Composites http://www.shopmaninc.com/index.html

Basically there are two ways to do it, the right way IMO is to make a mold, which requires a plug to pull the mold from..... This is the only way a sane person does it if they want to make lots of parts and if at all possible the part should be vacuum bagged in the mold to reduce the chance of voids.

Moldless construction is basically the same as building something from fiberglass without a mold, but if you want the carbon weave to show up in your finished product it requires allot of sanding and some pretty serious attention to detail. Make one mistake because your in a hurry and you burn through a layer of the carbon and ruin the look.

As with anything the key with either process is patience and practice.

I hope this helps.

kenfyoozed
December 1st 2003, 12:23
i agree with with carbon joe. i like weat system. there product seems to be the best on the market but it is more pricey than the rest. but definetly worth it.

neil

hybrid_john
December 1st 2003, 17:07
Carbon Joe, I can't begin to thank you enough for giving me this information, I have succesfully found everything that I needed to practice my C/F making skills, I know It's gonna take me some time and money to do this but it's worth it.....

THANK YOU!!!:D

John

super vw
December 2nd 2003, 00:30
I wish i had the space, time and money to work with carbon fiber... its just so sexy looking and plain cool! along with being strong and light.

hybrid_john
December 2nd 2003, 02:50
Yeah man, I've always been a fan of carbon fiber, it's so light weight and strong and you can use it for anything, even subwoofer boxes, and even house hold items...

I want to build an air-dam from a modified version of the Creative Car Craft air-dam, I'm gonna give it a shot with carbon fiber. I want it in carbon fiber and thats the only way I'm gonna get it in carbon fiber. I also have a ram-air duct that mounts to the roof of my car, I'm gonna make it out of carbon fiber as well...

Carbon Joe is a life saver in my case, he has helped me find supplies that I need and I couldn't of done it with out him.

WISH ME LUCK GUYS!!!!!:D

John