PDA

View Full Version : many another 915 install questions

Moctesuma
November 30th 2003, 07:41
I want to put a 915 tranny in my 63 bug.
I found a solution to have an irs setup by cutting a 74 1303 chassis.
Now i read all the posts about 914 and 944 flanges, but i still have a few doubts before buying the 915 transmission.

The one that i found has an ouput shaft CV diameter of 100 mm, so that i can use t2 100mm cv joints.
But I want to keep my 1303 arms, because i must have a stock vw for homologation (or must look so) , and I can't put 944t trailing arms because of brakes.
Is it really possible to fit 966 stub axles from a pre '86 in place of the bug setup?
Then i would have a 100mm t2 cv joint on this side and the problem of the cv is solved.
In this case can I use stock vw bug t1 axle?
so it would be:
915 tranny > 100mm flanges > t2 cv > t1 axle > t2 cv > 944 s pre '86 stub
is that alright?

I think that I'm going to put a coil-over system as rear suspension or to adapt the old 63 swingle axle torsion tubes.

In each case, i'm gonna use an hydraulic clutch system.

The shifter will be the stock vw one.

then come the big problems: i want to use a T1 motor.
i can't use "standar" 200 mm clutch system because the stock 915 system needs a 225 mm clutch disc.
so wich flywheel do I have to use? a custom made by kennedy? do they still do some? do they have a website? i can't speak english...
is it easier to adapt a 914 style flywheel?
which starter in each case? Porsche starter, VW autostick starter or IMI high-torque starter? where can I find the last one?

i think that it's really easier to use a t4 motor, but i have three t1 waiting and that's why i want to see a t1 in my car.
but if not possible or if it's too expensive i prefer to find a t4. In this way, what kind of starter, flywheel and clutch?

thanks a lot for your help.

Nicolas

Turbonutta
December 1st 2003, 15:05
hi,to get my 915 in i had to grind some of the metal on the inside of the rear forks,cut the gearbox mount of and grind smooth then cut enough metal work from inside the car see photo attached,also you need to cut a nice hole for the shifter mechanism to go in the bottom of the pan
i have not finished this bit yet
i have found that i can use a standard bug clutch cable and tube
i cut the clutch tube of at the point where you can see it from the top of the chassis and then brought it out of the hole cut for the shifter at the bottom of the chassis i will weld on a standard bug or bus clutch tube holder (normally goes on the side of the gearbox) to hold the clutch tube
my mate is machining me a small collar to pass the threaded clutch cable through the porsche clutch arm then add the bug wing nut...i have got pictures if this fries your brain
use the bus sized cvs fitting a set of 944 rear flanges
i use a kennedy type4 to 915 flywheel
NOTE IT MOVES THE ENGINE BACK BOUT INCH AND 1/2

Moctesuma
December 1st 2003, 16:39
ok thanks for this example.

i'll look for a t4 and use the kennedy flywheel.

but i still have questions about the 944 rear flanges: is it "plug and play"?
does the "width" of the car change? in this case wich axle should i use? t2?

thanks a lot

Nicolas

Turbonutta
December 4th 2003, 06:41
i just wacked the 944 flanges in then got bug drive shafts and bolted em on
seems to fit ok
or you could get the early aluminium trailing arms....?

Michael Ghia
December 21st 2003, 05:29
Mate,
Just buy a pair of early 944 driveshafts (make sure not from an auto) and they will bolt up and work everywhere. No messing with other parts.
MG