PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944 gauges

mbartell
December 4th 2003, 13:01
I got a set of 944 gauges off of ebay, and the speedo and tach look pretty easy to hook up. I was wondering if anyone has tried using the combo guage too. It has fuel, 6 warning/indicator lights and a temp gauge.
I've been trying to map out the connections on the back and am having some problems figuring out everything.
It has 12 pins in a circle, and I don't have the plug that goes into it. I figured that I could just solder to the terminals and use it anyway, or try to find the correct plug.
Where can I find a wiring diagram that would have the pin out?
I have figured out which pins work all the lights, but the guages are a little harder.
Plus, is there any diffrence between the water temp guage and an oil temp guage besides the sending unit? I figure that electronic guages all work on the same principal, and the sending unit would be the important thing.
This is going into my 1971 superbeetle, and I still haven't made the custom dash- I want to get the gauges working before I really start working on it.

GUTTERS
December 14th 2003, 17:27
get yourself a plug from a porsche breakers yard or from a porsche specalist.
i have sorted out which wires go to which pin on the plug they are as follows:-

1. temperature sender input
2. minus
3. internal lighting
4. hi-beam for head lights
5. turn signal tell-tale
6.oil warning light
7. plus
8. fuel sender
9.fuel reserve light
10.handbrake light
11.battery/ alternater charge light
12. plus

numbers 2,7 and 12 just seamed to be as what they are listed as and these were taken from a main porsche dealer electrical manual.
hope this lot helps you on your way.:confused: :rolleyes:

mbartell
December 22nd 2003, 16:51
Thanks a lot- That's a lot more clear than what I got from the wiring diagram on Pelican parts.com. I think they may actually be guages form a 924 instead of a 944, but I think they hook up the same.

GUTTERS
December 22nd 2003, 18:15
yes they are wired up the same. did you get a plug?.

mbartell
December 22nd 2003, 18:22
No, there isn't a Porsche recycler in the area. Most of the yards around here are american and very little else. Anything even remotely exotic gets swept up and stored. (just local mentality)

Where would you sugest to find the plug?

It would be a lot better than soldering directly to the terminals, which is my current option.

GUTTERS
December 22nd 2003, 18:34
I take it you are in the states?. I am in the uk so the only place i can think of is pelican parts or a main porsche dealer the plug would only be a few $ i would have thought and you could get the terminals for the plug from any good motor electrical stockists. Or yo could try micheal ghia who visits these pages fairly regulary. he is a porsche wizard and also breaks them so he could probally sort you a plug with the wires sticking out a few inches , so it would be easy to join them to your existing wires. I will also try and get you one sorted and will post it to you if i get one, hows that??.

mbartell
December 29th 2003, 11:05
Thanks! I can't refuse an offer like that!

I'm stil looking locally, and have posted in the wanted section of this site. E-mail me if you find one, at mr_mikebartell@yahoo.com
I'll send you a few bucks and whatever shipping is when/if you find one.

Supa Ninja
October 10th 2005, 19:14
Thanks gutters for the stupid proof list for wiring up the 944 guages. I'm going to mock it up right now and use a 1302's fuel sender that i got laying around to see if they jive. I'll also try my 914 oil temp sender with the water temp gauge (i'll stick it into boiling water, 212 F). That is a good idea of gutting it and putting the internals from the stock fuel gauge. I'll post what i discover.

Supa Ninja
October 10th 2005, 22:19
Good news, I now recall Oliver Knuphf(?) saying it is no big deal installing the 944 gauges. The stock 914 vdo sender worked well with the temp gauge, at approx. 200F the gauge read just over the quarter warm mark, so it should work alright. The fuel sender from my 1302 worked just fine with 944's fuel gauge.

Nick

Supa Ninja
October 12th 2005, 12:41
I checked for continuity and pins 12 and 7 are electrically the same so you will only need to hook up +12 to one of them and you use the other lead as a hot for another gauge.

Supa Ninja
October 12th 2005, 16:04
One more thing...the tach from the '84 that I'm using is wired up as follows pin 4 GND
pin 5 +12
pin 6 coil -

Pin's 1-3 and H+, Hg not used

There you go, I tested it on my 914 and it works properly :D

mbartell
November 7th 2005, 15:47
glad I checked back on this one- I still haven't mounted mine! I did find the correct connector (the round one) and all the light bulbs in the junk yard.
What was the oil temp sender you used?

Supa Ninja
November 8th 2005, 00:12
I used a stock type IV used in 914's. It's vdo so i think any vdo one will work.