PDA

View Full Version : i want to loose weight!

Andy
September 8th 2002, 05:32
Its not that I think I am fat! Although loosing a few pounds from your body would be probably easier than from the bug. A lot of peole seem to overlook that!

Just that I would like to get a better power to weight ratio in my bug.

Car is a late '73 1303S with genuine Cup2s with Type 1 motor.

I have now removed all the large speakers from my stereo, and saved a lot in weight.

I am also going to fit perspex rear side, and rear windows.

I have kevlar seats, but the subframes are heavy. Still lighter than standard.

May remove rear seat (which does not weight hardly anything) and put down some covered fibre board (perhaps carbon fibre?)to cover the battery area etc.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

vujade
September 8th 2002, 09:28
carbon fiber rear fenders (wings)
carbon fiber decklid

I am planning on using these, Carbon Joe said the weight savings would probably be around 12 lbs

I am also considering lexan rear windows & ultra light weight racing seats

Andy
September 8th 2002, 14:10
Those parts sound good, but I do not really want to have more panels sprayed. I have ordered some carbon running boards, although this will probably be a very limited saving in weight.

Will you have the new pannels sprayed, or kept in their natural colour?

vujade
September 8th 2002, 17:17
I want to spray the fenders, the running boards and the decklid I would like to keep natural :)

unless I spray the car a dark color then I would like to keep everything natural

NYBugman1972
September 8th 2002, 20:57
If you haven't gutted the interior of anything that you don't need to stop, go, shift, see or sit, then get to it!

Lose the headliner (pretty heavy when every bit counts), door panels, dashpad (if applicable), carpet, rear seat, any non-essential hoses, sound deadener, glove box door (why not?), sun vizors, and anything else that looks like its just "there".

It all depends on how drastic you want to get.

Personally, I am keeping a full interior and maybe tossing the rear seat later in life. I'm not too worried about going fast right now. I like comfort.