PDA

View Full Version : possible bumpers from another car?

kenfyoozed
December 7th 2003, 23:25
ive noticed there seems to be a lot of bumperkits for the vw rabbit. does anyone know how much bigger in length the rabbit bumper is , over a std bumper? im thinking a rabbt kit might work with the space filled in between the body and bumper via a carbon fiber filler piece. i know the rabbit bumper is straight while the beetle bumper is curved. but all the new bumpers , like jefferys, are straight across, like a rabbits. so any thoughts?

thanks

neil

vujade
December 8th 2003, 07:43
I wouldnt use a Rabbits, maybe something curvier. Ive seen a Sunbird bumper adapted to a bug. Cant say that I really liked it, but Im sure there are other cars out there.

Shadowbug
December 8th 2003, 12:23
I adapted a MK3 jetta bumper to my Mk2 Jetta, still some filling to to do to make it fit right. However I did notice that its curvature was similar to a beetle bumper.

if the width is close It just might work, the rear bumper is still quite boxy.

there is quite a variety of aftermarket bumper skins for the MK3 as well, maybe you can find something that works for you.

Can't say if I'd like the look or not, but I had thought that It'd work if you needed airflow up front for a rad

boygenius
December 8th 2003, 13:36
What about a knock off new beetle RSI front bumper?:)

hybrid_john
December 8th 2003, 18:56
genius do you have a picture of the RSI bumper? I sounds like a good idea, not only is it becasue its from a NEW beetle but its probably cheaper than any of my ideas!:D

John

boygenius
December 8th 2003, 19:15
Nope but I will try to find some.:D

Shadowbug
December 8th 2003, 23:13
aren't the new beetle bumpers huge? I think it'd be better to find a bumper that would be a little more proportionate to the beetle?

hybrid_john
December 9th 2003, 01:50
shadow, that pretty much correct for all the non do-it-your-selfers who don't want to take the time and effort to make a model fit to an ACVW, it cost more money as well, so you probably would be better off finding one that would fit easier... GOOD LUCK!:)

John

justdubbin
December 9th 2003, 15:10
Here are a couple of pictures of the RSI

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atcars/newcar/img/beetle_rsi.jpg
http://www.beetles-uk.com/carsforsale/image.php?Id=386

Rob.

kenfyoozed
December 9th 2003, 16:16
if somehow that would work, that would be freakin awesome. i love those pics.

neil

hybrid_john
December 10th 2003, 04:00
I WOULD work, all you'd have to do is be carefull on how you trim it down to fit a Beetle. I like the pics to, that bumper could be very functional, on an ACVW.

John