PDA

View Full Version : lexan

zen
September 9th 2002, 11:44
i have seen lexan side windows and i will be getting a rear window in lexan. any reason you can't run a windscreen made of lexan? mine is cracked anyway and since i have a choptop, i have to have something custom made either way.

vujade
September 9th 2002, 21:28
the only thing I can think of is there may be some legality issues with the windshield being made of lexan, but other then that i dont see why not.

Andy
September 10th 2002, 03:42
I know it is illegal in the UK, but I am sure that a lot of MOT (Yearly test) testers would not notice it.

I have got some lexan, and plan to replace the rear sides and rear window. How much weight am I likeley to save?

zen
September 10th 2002, 09:11
curious about that myself. i may do the side windows too. depends on cost. i haven't even looked at that yet.

we do not have inspections here at all. just emissions. and they can all be bought. what about chipping from rocks? does it chip or crack? i HATE replacing windows and do not want to make a habit of that.

kdanie
September 10th 2002, 11:03
Real Lexan is very tough, hard to scratch but if a sharp rock hits it at speed it may leave a mark. Stay away from Plexyglass, it's too soft and will scratch easily.
ken

Andy
September 10th 2002, 11:07
how much weight will it save?

kdanie
September 12th 2002, 12:14
Lexan is pretty light, if you replace all the glass....maybe 20-25 LBS. I have never weighed my windows so I don't know what the glass weighs. That's weight up high so handling should improve slightly.
ken

Eurolook71
September 13th 2002, 15:31
Here's a company that sells lexan, call 'em up.

http://www.proglasswindows.com/

Note that they don't have the prices on the site, this to me means, expensive!! :)

zen
September 13th 2002, 16:11
regarding weight savings, per that webiste...

Weight savings - Using LEXANŽ carries a substantial weight savings over the use of ordinary glass. For example, a 1/4" thick square foot of LEXANŽ weighs 1.56 lbs. in comparison to 3.2 lbs. of glass. Another consideration is that further weight savings can be obtained because a lesser thickness of LEXANŽ may be used. (An 1/8" window may be used replacing a 3/16" thick glass application).

so assume half the weight in general.

lightning bug
September 13th 2002, 20:06
Ron Lummus Racing also sells lexan windows. www.ronlummusracing.com