PDA

View Full Version : Typ I dog box

Yaninnya
December 15th 2003, 07:37
Did anyone knows anything about dog box (crunch box) insert for Typ I case? I cant find any info about it.

Bruce2
December 15th 2003, 17:41
What are you talking about?

Racelook
December 15th 2003, 17:49
I think he is meaning the crush box in front of a 1303 (have another types of bugs also have them??) because i have seen them too.. (mine bug don't have one)

I think you can buy them on second hand (is this english??) by a bugdealer.

I don't know what kind of info you want??

Greetings Wiebrand

Bruce2
December 16th 2003, 08:19
Now I don't know what you're talking about!

njv
December 16th 2003, 16:17
hi
i dont use boxes for my dogs they prefer a bean bag each with a nice fluffy blanket on it keeps them nice and warm when it gets cold her:silly:

Racelook
December 16th 2003, 17:59
BTW the crushboxes are mounted in front of the chassishead on a 1303 (or a 1302?)?

SO 1303 or 1302 owners get a look under ya car and see if there is some kind of square metal box in front of the chassishead.

Maybe you can take a picture and past it on this forum so everybody knows what we are talking about.

Greetings Wiebrand:D

njv
December 16th 2003, 18:27
hi
dont get me wrong ive not always had typ3,s ya know

i would very much like to see a picture of what is being described here as i cannot for the life of me remember anything that resembles what hes trying to describe.

i know on late typ3 they welded some nasty boxes into the front inner wings and added the big bumper reinforcement tube comeing out the front clip (very heavy went straight in the bin on all late 3,s ive owned) these were masive rust traps are proberbly have been the root of more harm than good in the long run.

but on a n o3? the newest one i ever owned was a 73 model mind! are we talking after this years models:D

i do have dogs and they dont like boxes (prefer the sofa):eek:

Yaninnya
December 17th 2003, 04:27
Dogbox (american name crunchbox) is the gearbox which has no syncros but dog clutches for engage the ratios. This type of g'box is common in motorsport. Thanks this you can engage the ratio without using the clutch, it is faster. Most dogboxes has also strait gears. I hope that it will explain a lot.
I know that early Bug g'boxes (in '50) has no syncros but also no dog clutches. These were wery weak and was not for motorsport use.

Bruce2
December 17th 2003, 06:48
I think I get it now. What you describe is called a "crashbox" transmission. They have no syncros and were used until late 52 on Deluxe Beetles.
For a late trans that uses straight cut gears and no syncros you need to look into a Hewland gearbox.

Racelook
December 17th 2003, 07:26
OWWWWWWWWWW MAMA!!!! What was I thinking when i answered :rolleyes:

I now see that this topic is in the transmission forum:eek: ...

.Wiebrand

Yaninnya
December 17th 2003, 07:30
Yes, I have heard that they use Betlle g'box case for Formula Ford aplication but maximum torque for it was around 200 Nm. I need g'box which can take 330 Nm (911 engine). Any ideas?

njv
December 17th 2003, 08:00
hi
gearbox from a 911!

now i understan sort of what where on with do you want an auto box or do you want to change gears by hand ?

the ultimate would be a late porsch tip tronic gearbox but you will possibly have to donate several vital organs for one of these.

Yaninnya
December 17th 2003, 08:58
No! No! And one more time no! No auto box! I'm not american so I want to shift the gears myself!
Standard 911 g'box has much longer bellhousing and the lenght of engine/g'box is very critical. And it is much wider than Bettle one so in my aplication I can't use it (sort of kit-car).

boygenius
December 17th 2003, 20:20
Originally posted by Yaninnya
No! No! And one more time no! No auto box! I'm not american so I want to shift the gears myself!
Standard 911 g'box has much longer bellhousing and the lenght of engine/g'box is very critical. And it is much wider than Bettle one so in my aplication I can't use it (sort of kit-car).

:mad: I like to shift gears and I'm an American.:p

boygenius
December 17th 2003, 20:25
Originally posted by Yaninnya
Dogbox (american name crunchbox) is the gearbox which has no syncros but dog clutches for engage the ratios. This type of g'box is common in motorsport. Thanks this you can engage the ratio without using the clutch, it is faster. Most dogboxes has also strait gears. I hope that it will explain a lot.
I know that early Bug g'boxes (in '50) has no syncros but also no dog clutches. These were wery weak and was not for motorsport use.

Like a motorcycle transmission, right. If you can find one for your car it is probably way more money than its worth. My friend has a subaru imprezza wrx and he was going to buy a dogbox transmission for it untill he saw the price. $6,000.:eek:

Yaninnya
December 19th 2003, 05:45
Yes I know that it can be costly but not so much as far as Impreza g'box must be much stronger, has five or even six gears and aditional diff for rear prop.

kdanie
December 29th 2003, 15:23
Yes,

Dog ring gearboxes are very common in motorsports, Hewland makes the most common and I heard that he used the type 1 box as inspiration for his first trans. Dog ring gearboxes are not necessairliy the same as a sequential gearbox (they use dogs too but you can only shift up/down 1 gear at at time, in order). The early non-synco type 1 trans are not suited for your use and are not dog ring gears.

I don't know if anyone makes parts to build a dog ring type 1 trans, maybe Hewland can help out.... I hope it's for track use, dog ring boxes require frequent rebuilds.
ken

vwcossie
January 18th 2004, 16:03
The dogbox gears are made by SF in Finland.
It just avalible in two forms of ratios.
Both for Rallycross/hillclimbing.
The two ratios are for T1/T4 engines and Wankel engines.

Kvikk Service in Oslo, Norway are the suppliers of the norwegian marked.
Phone +47 22 32 46 80 of e-mail: kvikkservice@c2i.net

The kit cost around 2000 euro or $ 2150 + Tax

A complete transmission with LSD will cost You 3500 euro or $4300.

This transmission are for motorsport only.

Dont even think of have it in Your Daily Beetle

Yaninnya
January 20th 2004, 05:02
Yes I know that using dogbox in everyday use is the nightmare but for motorsport use it is the only way for me. Many thanks for me for that info about SF.