PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Headlamp rings

Carbon Joe
September 9th 2002, 20:24
I finished the tooling over the weekend for the later years headlamp rings and made my first one, take a look and let me know what you think. Now for the early rings MbR is right there two different rings, they look the same but the holes are in different spots. Not to worry, I will be making both in carbon.
Thanks,

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sunshine79vw/lst?.dir=/&.view=t&.src=ph&.done=

vujade
September 9th 2002, 22:24
Top Notch work Joe, they look great!

Andy
September 10th 2002, 03:48
They looked even better than expected. Excellent!!

Vyper
September 10th 2002, 05:24
Joe these rock!!!!

You really need to take over remmel and CSP and show em how to do it properly!!

Take it easy and hear from you soon

Vyper :D

MdR
September 10th 2002, 10:09
Very nice!
Any idea on cost?
cheers
Martin

SilverBullet
September 10th 2002, 11:51
Hi Joe,

Hope you got my email. THe headlamp rings are real nice, possible to include the headlamp rings, 1 pair to the order. Hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers.
Richard T.
:)

NYBugman1972
September 10th 2002, 15:35
Like I said on the STF, You just keep getting better!

Carbon Joe
September 10th 2002, 19:26
Thanks everyone,
For a pair of carbon fiber headlamp rings it's $40.00 plus S/H add $5.00 for colors.

vujade
September 10th 2002, 20:23
what colors can you do Joe?

Carbon Joe
September 11th 2002, 00:43
Other than the standard graphite I also have red, yellow, blue and green carbon/kevlar.

vujade
September 11th 2002, 01:00
do you have any pics of the colored stuff?

Carbon Joe
September 11th 2002, 01:03
Look in my yahoo folder, check out the valve covers.

vujade
September 11th 2002, 01:12
thanks Joe.

those red valve covers look awesome!!!

I still cant decide what color to paint my car, but seeing that red carbon sways me towards painting the car red :)

samcat
September 11th 2002, 05:55
Joe,

Those are Gorgeous! Well done.
I will be ordering a pair, along with a few other bits n bobs, in a month (early/mid october).

Still cant get over how good they look! :D

Take it ez m8,
Sam C

02luke
September 20th 2002, 07:54
what would be the shipping to the uk then becous they look very nice

Carbon Joe
September 20th 2002, 10:26
Shipping to the UK for the rings is $25.00 but I can send a bulk order over to save on shipping. If everyone that want's a set can agree on one person to send them to the shipping can be split so many ways. Who do I send them to???

alfiebug
September 21st 2002, 12:39
bleedin' hell...beautiful!

OK..so how many of us want bits and bobs over here in the UK. Seriously wanting those headlight rims and running boards in red carbon!!!! Must have 'em!

...also Mr Carbon Joe...would you do me a RHD 1303 dash without a hole for the CD - coz mines under the dash...in red of course!

How much would these all come to in pounds?

Cheers

John

BigPhattyVW
September 22nd 2002, 20:50
Who makes them? If anybody knows the price could they reply please!!

Thanks!

Clint

Merged thread by Alex

vujade
September 22nd 2002, 21:13
BigPhattyVW

Carbon Joe makes them and they run about $40 a pair I believe

lastplace
October 19th 2004, 01:07
can you give me an estimate in USD on carbon fiber bumpers, stone guards, headlamp rings, and running boards?

Carbon Joe
October 19th 2004, 04:00
lastplace,
Sorry I'm not making bumpers but for the other parts please take a look at my site www.carbonjoe.net

Thanks,

oasis
October 19th 2004, 14:04
I saw the price for the headlamp rings and was wondering why I PayPal'd so much ... until I saw the original posts were from 2002. :rolleyes:

(Blood pressure returning to normal. :D )

Bill K.
October 19th 2004, 15:51
Joe,

Do you have plans (or have you already) made early head light rings with mounting holes at 5 and 7 o'clock?

Thanks,
Bill

Carbon Joe
October 19th 2004, 22:30
Bill,
Yes I'm going to be making early headlamp rings, are the screws at 5 and 7 for adjustment or mounting? I thought there was only one mounting point.

boygenius
October 19th 2004, 23:15
Bill,
Yes I'm going to be making early headlamp rings.

Excellent... :D

Panelfantastic
October 19th 2004, 23:19
They are for adjustment of the light beam.
Dang, now I'm gonna have to start converting the oval from cal-look to GL. :eek:

Kataplun
October 20th 2004, 00:52
joe, i love the carbon parts, i mabey getting the door panels for xmas :P but ill order some headlamp rings when i get the money, i wanted to ask where did you get thoes cool headlams they look so clear and probably blinding cool :P

http://www.carbonjoe.net/images/headlampringlarge.jpg

you once told me that i would pay you bya wester union, remember i live in the dominican republic and dont hav e aPO box so how much would the sending of the lamps cost ?

Bill K.
October 20th 2004, 18:54
Bill,
Yes I'm going to be making early headlamp rings, are the screws at 5 and 7 for adjustment or mounting? I thought there was only one mounting point.
Awesome -- that's going to look sweet with my 911 lenses and other C/F parts.

You're right on the mounting hole -- just one. I want early C/F headlight rings with adjuster screws at 5 and 7 oclock. Sorry to confuse. Here's a full-on clarification on the early rings :rolleyes:

There are 3 styles of rings. I got these pictures and info from www.wolfsburgwest.com. I won't be surprised if there is more to the story...
1. Adjusters at 9 and 12 oclock -- OEM on pre '54 w/ bosch headlights
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/images/wwpn/111941111A.jpg
2. Adjusters at 5 and 7 oclock -- OEM on '54-'62 and pre '54 w/ hella headlights; used with aftermarket "American Assemblies"
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/images/wwpn/111941111.jpg
3. Adjusters at 2 and 7 oclock -- OEM on '63-'67; used with aftermarket "European Assemblies"
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/images/wwpn/111941111C.jpg
They all have a third hole in a mounting tab at 6 oclock for securing the ring to the fender. There is a nylon sleeve that goes under the tab to keep the tab from bending too far when the screw is tightened.

I recommend you start with the 5 and 7 style. These seem to be the most common aftermarket "American Assemblies (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941037)". They are $100/pair, vs. $300/pair for the "European Assemblies" (http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941021A) . I'm modifying mine like the "European" ones based on a tip I got from aircooled.net -- bust the fluted glass out of H4 lamp holder and use 911 fluted lenses. The light output is great with this combo, plus you get a stealth running light. I'll post this setup when it's finished in a couple weeks...

The 2 and 7 style would be needed for those with OEM assemblies from 63-67 or the aftermarket "European" headlight assemblies. Is anyone interested in this style trim ring?

You probably can rule out making the 9 and 12 style since it's so old and odd-ball.

We need to get a good OEM ring for your mold. The aftermarket ones are aren't worthy of carbon fiber -- oval shape is off, rim doesn't go tangent to lens, etc. Does anyone have a good OEM 5 and 7 ring to donate? I'll start looking.

So much for a simple answer... :eek:

Bill K.
October 20th 2004, 19:09
Joe, do you need a perfect finish (chrome) on the master part to make a good mold?

SilverBullet
October 21st 2004, 01:02
Kataplun, thoses headlamps are from CSP. :)

Carbon Joe
October 21st 2004, 13:30
Good job Bill!!
That really breaks it down, I guess I'll be making two molds, one for the 5 and 7 style and one for the 2 and 7 style. I have a nice and clean stock 2 and 7 style, now I need a 5 and 7. Yes the cleaner the better, the chrome finish will transfer to the mold and save some polishing time.

Thanks Bill!

Carbon Joe
October 21st 2004, 13:34
[QUOTE=you once told me that i would pay you bya wester union, remember i live in the dominican republic and dont hav e aPO box so how much would the sending of the lamps cost ?[/QUOTE]

Kataplun,
Please e-mail me your shipping address and your order and I'll let you know the cost.

Thanks,

Kataplun
October 21st 2004, 16:04
Kataplun, thoses headlamps are from CSP. :)

CSP ??? dude give me a web site or something im barelly starting to order stuff for Lola online.

Bill K.
October 21st 2004, 16:34
google works pretty good for me http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=csp+beetle

Kataplun
October 22nd 2004, 02:51
ouch 150 euros at custom & speed parts site, that will take a huge bite out of my job :P

Bill K.
October 24th 2004, 11:26
I guess I'll be making two molds, one for the 5 and 7 style and one for the 2 and 7 style. I have a nice and clean stock 2 and 7 style, now I need a 5 and 7. Yes the cleaner the better, the chrome finish will transfer to the mold and save some polishing time.
I got a good OEM 5&7 ring off the Samba coming your way. Let me know if it's good enough.

Carbon Joe
October 25th 2004, 10:42
Thanks Bill,
I'll let you know when I get it.

Carbon Joe
November 30th 2004, 16:24
Well I finely got the mold done for the early head lamp rings, the first set is going to Bill, let me know what you think.http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/5831784/75131258.jpg
I kind of got a kick out of the the first one I made, I think they would make cool picture frames too!! http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2890339/5831784/75132601.jpg

Panelfantastic
November 30th 2004, 21:03
Like always, they look awesome! If mine on the bus wern't already powdercoated... but I do have a new project in mind.... :cool:

What about the mounting tab at the bottom? Will it be carbon also and riveted on?

Bill K.
November 30th 2004, 23:10
Good job Joe. Love the picture idea. I look forward to fitting them up.

MdR
December 1st 2004, 12:52
Very, very nice
Given the currently weak US Dollar I reckon it's time I got around to ordering.
2 quick questions.
Will you be manufacturering early pre '57 sloping wings with the headlamp bucket lower & closer to the front hood and the blend into the running board? :D
And how about a Split dash cabrio decklid and popes nose? OK so this one is actually from a Papler but it'll do :cool:
http://www3.mistral.co.uk/m.s.rogers/split/rear%20lid%20closed.JPG

(I'm also interested how the carbon 'lamp rims are secured to the wing)

Carbon Joe
December 8th 2004, 13:55
2 quick questions.
Will you be manufacturering early pre '57 sloping wings with the headlamp bucket lower & closer to the front hood and the blend into the running board? :D
And how about a Split dash cabrio decklid and popes nose?

Sorry, I don't think I'll be making any of those parts, maybe the cabrio decklid.

Carbon Joe
December 8th 2004, 13:59
What about the mounting tab at the bottom? Will it be carbon also and riveted on?

Yes they will mount just like the stock rings. I'm making a mold just for the tab that will be bonded to the ring, no rivets

Panelfantastic
December 8th 2004, 21:15
Sweet! :agree:

rip
April 25th 2005, 16:12
so carbon joe hows the early rings going? prices yet?

Bill K.
April 25th 2005, 20:10
The first set Joe made doesn't work because it didn't have a lip to hold the spring clips. We discussed making a c/f cover to bond to existing rings. Adding the lip to the c/f would be a royal PITA. He needs to make a new mold with the offset of the ring.

Status Joe?