PDA

View Full Version : carbon mirrors

njv
December 19th 2003, 16:39
hi
won these for a motorbike on ebay and having sacrificed a pair of old chrome mirrors for the threaded portion that screws into the door they should fit a treat. it was a sinch to do i chpped of the outer 4mm of the threaded portion with a hacksaw inserted the mirror arm into it added a washer and a self locking nut sorted ill try and take a photo of them fitted tommoro if i can weather is a bit poo at the minute.

njv
December 19th 2003, 16:41
hi
this shows the old chrome mirror with the threaded insert i needed removed.

njv
December 19th 2003, 16:46
hi
they are a bit smaller than the original mirrors.

njv
December 19th 2003, 16:51
hi
not so flat on the front and unaerodynamic as the originals weigh half as much as well

zen
December 19th 2003, 17:01
very, very nice

DORIGTT
December 20th 2003, 10:15
Ooooooooh!

The only thing cooler would be 2 rearward facing cameras on either side linked to a split screen color display in the dash...oh snap did I just reveal myself?

No drag there!

njv
December 20th 2003, 13:14
hi
odd but at the yearly test the other day i just had one outside mirror on the right hand side this is a rh drive car but im in germany so even though i only need one outside mirror under uk law apparently wilst here i have to have two mirrors on the outside.

now im there again next month and i will ask what the score is with rewards facing cameras i have absolutely no doubt i will still need real phisical mirrors fitted by law sad thing is they could be one inch sqr it dont make a blind bit of difference

these mirrors in use give quite a wide view of the road behind with less up and down view just have to move my head a little if i want to look at the floor while reversing.

on the subject of cameras if your gonna do it for rear view mirrors why not put a third say where the third brake light normally gos for a birds eye view when reversing ! most main battle tanks have this fitted as standard these days.

fitted to my car.

njv
December 20th 2003, 13:16
hi
with a bit of distance they become very unobtrusive.

njv
December 20th 2003, 13:20
hi
another horrible day today here in germany drizzle horrible wet type so the pictures are not the best heres the final one.

boygenius
December 20th 2003, 19:29
Sweet looking mirrors.:D

njv
December 20th 2003, 19:42
hi
just read the other mirror thread mine cost 16€ including postage they do normally go for a bit more on ebay but ive been hanging on watching and waiting :D if anybody else goes for it be carefull on the arm length as some of them have about 10cm long arms mine are nice and short ans im not breaking the law anymore with only one mirror:eek:

zen
December 23rd 2003, 16:15
they look great. and a good buy too. i have some similar although they are not c/f (they do come in c/f, i just got cheap on a day when i shouldn't have). here is a very bad shot of them. i will get a better soon. i think it is tucked in in this shot as well. they are so small that i went for convex on both sides. i don't really care about a clean shot of the person next to me, i just want to know if they are there or not.

http://volksport.net/images/projpics/zen20.jpg

njv
December 23rd 2003, 18:00
hi
very nice indeed are they originally for a motorbike as well?

i saw some interesting carbon fibre rear veiw camera covers on ebay the other day should have made a note what bike they were for :mad:

im totally used to driving with my new mirrors allready and the veiw is a lot wider than itwas before for me so that cant be bad i may get a couple of those little stick on blind spot jobies as it is a bit dodgy driving a rh drive car in a lh drive country:eek: i have to get a decent mirror for sneaking a veiw forward past lorries on my left side ive nearly come to an end a couple of times when i cant see if the road ahead is clear or not!

zen
December 24th 2003, 00:29
they are racing mirrors for cars. i have seen them on 911RSR's and many open ****pits.

njv
December 24th 2003, 05:20
hi
lets see a better picture or two then they look sweet.

COXBOW
January 2nd 2004, 06:51
Hi folks,

I’ve got 100% the same mirrors somewhere in my garage, wanted to put them on my GL but changed my mind, think they are to small, u don’t see much in them don’t ya !?

I’ve got them in a bike shop near my place for 14-15$ if I remember it ok… the problem is they are absolutely not in carbon but only carbon painted GFK !!

But they look ok…

DORIGTT
January 2nd 2004, 10:46
Motorcycle mirrors do look good! The problem is that they normally are borderline useless on the motorcycles themselves! Both my sportbikes have had to get upgrades in the form of bar end mirrors because the standard mirrors just don't have enough surface area for me/most to get a good field of vision. We don't need blind spots to cause a collision now do we?

Plan ahead...Noah's Ark wasn't built in the rain.

DORIGTT
January 2nd 2004, 10:46
Motorcycle mirrors do look good! The problem is that they normally are borderline useless on the motorcycles themselves! Both my sportbikes have had to get upgrades in the form of bar end mirrors because the standard mirrors jus don't have enough surface area for me/most to get a good field of vision. We don't need blind spots to cause a collision now do we?

Plan ahead...Noah's Ark wasn't built in the rain.

COXBOW
January 2nd 2004, 10:52
Too bad Carbon-Joe doesn’t make some BMW M3 type mirrors to replace mine…

njv
January 2nd 2004, 17:22
hi
:D of course there not real carbon ;) but you have to be stood next to them to know! i had my reservations about the field of veiw being not enough but they are good consider i only had a right hand mirror fitted before (i think you can see it on the readers ride section old pictures) well just having two mirrors is an improvement:hehehe:

these ones took some finding most of them have 6in long arms before the mirror i needed to get the shortest arms possible im happy with the view works just dandy (i drive an english rh drive car in germany im a bit touched anyway)

cheers chaps.

hybrid_john
January 3rd 2004, 15:15
NICE morrors!:D

I think I like em!

John

boygenius
January 3rd 2004, 19:50
Check these out.

www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=51

njv
January 3rd 2004, 21:02
hi
nice there normally on ebay for less money mind;)

boygenius
January 3rd 2004, 21:36
I work at a bike shop so they're always cheaper for me. I love employee discounts.:D Go to the main page and look in the new for 2003 products section on page 4 there are mirrors with turn signals in them.;)