PDA

View Full Version : killing the sounds, keeping the heat...

super vw
December 23rd 2003, 00:32
So im going with carpet in my 1303 for comfort resons, i have all the old cruddy sound dampening and tar boards out and was looking for what to use in its place. is there a good light weight carpet pad/ sounds dampening material to use? thats not expensive? would house capet pad work, i have lots of that from our house?

Later
Jonathan

hybrid_john
December 23rd 2003, 04:57
www.dynamat.com
They have really good products, I don't know about the light weight part but they have sound dampening and insulation...

www.cascadeaudio.com
They have VERY good products, again, don't know about the light weight stuff, but the db levels drop.:)

Both of these products are sheet materials, Dynamat has liquide materials, but I don't know how well they work, if you want liquide (brush, roll, or spray on) material, here's a link:

www.stealthkote.com
They work wonderfull, and a gallon of it weighs in at only 13.2 lbs.
Not too bad, but what can you do when you want peice and quite.

Well, Super, I hope that help you out some... let me know what you think!:D

John

samcat
January 19th 2004, 09:08
Dynamat extreme all the way!
It weighs less than normal dynamat, and works better too!
I have around 7-8 sheets in my car in total, lined the inside of the doors, rear quarter panels, firewall, bit above gearbox, lots of the floorpan, front kickpanels, etc etc etc :)

Its ace, acts as a heat insulator too.

BUT - Dont fit it on a cold day, it wont stick very well. Get the car warm/hot and keep the dynamay UNROLLED (flat) and inside for a few days first to help soften it up.
Use a narrow wooden roller to help apply it, my roller was designed for decorating the house ;) about 1.5" wide wooden bit.
Dont try and apply a full sheet either, cut it down into strips/squares and use those... Makes the whole job much easier!

CYa,
Sam C