PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 914 gear box ??

COXBOW
December 26th 2003, 09:23
Hi folks,

I can have a Porsche 914 gear box for a penny, I know it’s possible to put it in a Bug with a “few” modifications (invert the deferential, otherwise I’ve got 5 back speeds !) But what about the rest of it? Does anybody have a e-site or pictures, anything about this transformation?

Thanks

Serge aka Coxbow

CLKWRK
December 26th 2003, 13:26
Hi,
heres a few pics of mine, hope they can help clear things up for you.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bryan_abad/album?.dir=/clkwrk_transmission&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bryan_abad

cheers, Bryan

NO_H2O
December 26th 2003, 13:47
You will need some parts from a 901 grearbox from an early 911, (nose cone, shift rod, etc). Or you can pick up a cheap 901 box for parts, the 914 grear stack will be the stack that you want to use. You could either drop the 914 stack in the 901 case or get the parts you need from the 901 and convert the 914 to nose shift.

Supa Ninja
December 26th 2003, 14:28
Here's what I'm doing, 914 gear stack(all 914 came from the factory with the same gear ratios), early 911 Aluminum case, nose cone, hockey stick, diff(allows use of larger output flanges without modifications or the smaller output flanges that allow the stock type 1 style 6 bolt cv's to bolt to without mods as opposed to the 4 bolt 914 cv's which require slight modification), the clutch arm/throwout bearings all look the same to me.
Basically I'm using just the gear stack from a 914 and the rest from early 911 901. I am also checking into using 73-74 motor mounts for the front tranny mount. I'm working on tech article for doing this conversion, it so far has been very straight foward. Good luck.

Nick

COXBOW
December 29th 2003, 04:54
Hi folks,

So I would have to buy a lot of different parts ! I’ve got a full 914 gearbox but I’ll have to tear it apart and add some 901 parts! Wouldn’t it be simpler and cheaper to just put a 901 instead of al those mods ??!

COXBOW
December 29th 2003, 05:05
CLKWRK,

Thanks for your link, do u have some comments to add about your pictures? Id would help me a lot!
For ex: what is the explode picture with the missing parts ?

Shadowbug
December 29th 2003, 10:27
there two different types of 914 gearboxes
tailshift and mid-shift.

forget the mid-shift, not worth the effort to do.
I'm told (bud do not ahve actual experience) that the tail shift will work well. you just need to flip the diff (not as easy as it sounds, but is easy enough)

I got a 914 mid shift tranny for peanuts plus shipping, in the end it cost would have cost more to make it work, than it was worth, I ended up buying a complete 901 from a 911.
but hey I got a spare case and a whole lot of parts taking up space in my storage shed.:rolleyes:

I'd be tempted to use it in a mid-engined project I'm thinking of, except I'd have to track down all the parts for it and the adaptor would cost more than a different tranny that would bolt right up.

good luck

COXBOW
December 29th 2003, 10:36
Shadowbug,

That’s exactly my problem, I can have a 914 gearbox for 250$ and that’s a lot cheaper than a 901, but I probably can’t do all the transformations by myself, I hope to do most as possible, like cutting in the floor panel (which I’ve being told is necessary !) But I would like to know for sure how much I will be able to do before starting the all job !

Supa Ninja
December 29th 2003, 21:20
The 914 901 your going to want to use just the gear stack (designed for a 2139lb 914 powered by a type IV motor, very nice gear ratios) the rest will be 911 901. If you change out the intermidiate plate for the 911 one it won't matter that its a sideshifter 914 gear box, but the tail shifters are generally less expensive cause the 914 crowd likes the side shifters( I like mine).
I hope I cleared up some of the confusion

nick

CLKWRK
December 30th 2003, 01:01
The "missing parts" are the ones missing from my spare 914 tranny that I have apart.
I was trying to sell the whole thing for $300 CAD
B

COXBOW
December 31st 2003, 05:03
Supa Ninja, thanks for this explanation, I hope I’ll be able to fit that gearbox without to many problems…

CLKWRK, so 250$ for my complete one is a good price… you really don’t have a kind of “how to do it right” for all the transformations I would have to do ?