PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler in rear fenders ??

Sandeep
September 10th 2002, 11:32
Hi Oliver,

What do you think about mounting 2 small oil coolers in the rear fenders by the running boards, kind of like the way the ducts on the rear fenders of the 930 work ? I want to eventually use 911 cooling shroud and fan (I LOVE that look) on the type 2.0L type 4 I'm working on getitng. I plan on using a 5 blade fan if I can find one so I don't over cool the engine.

I'm just trying to find alternate locations for an oil cooler instead of mounting it underneith the front valence. The coolers will have fans though.

Aside from the problem of water being thrown up by the tires.....do you think this is a good idea ?

Thanks

Sandeep

kdanie
September 11th 2002, 17:29
Stones will hit it also, a better/safer place is under the rear package tray, over the axles, outboard of the transaxle.
ken

Oliver Knuf
September 12th 2002, 04:34
Germans use often front oil coolers, handmade aluminum versions, thick and rough, no problems with flying stones on normal roads, even on dusty roads no probs. If you want to build it with such air scoops, do it, for myself it's too much Porsche, the only thing I would do is, to keep the rear of the cooler, wheelside, a bit shutted through mud and dust, that can plug the cooling surface!

Btw, the 5-blade fans work as efficient than a 12 or 11 blade fan. There is a university diploma existing about the airflow with Porsche fans of all kinds!

CLKWRK
September 12th 2002, 10:43
I use an RX-7 turbo oil cooler for my front cooler and a 96 plate mesa cooler with a themostaically controled fan above the tranny, the front cooler has a built in thermostat,. I have found this system to work excellent at keeping my oil at 90 deg cel. Even in traffic, I guess the dry sump helps, that 15 liters of oil.........BRY:D

Sandeep
September 12th 2002, 12:14
CLKWRK,

Man thats alot of oil ! How much does an oil change cost ya ?

Oliver,

I agree...its too much of a Porsche look with the coolers in the rear fenders. I will mount 2 small coolers in series, with fans, over the transmission and I will duct fresh air from the airstream underneith the car to give them a supply of air.

Sandeep