PDA

View Full Version : No rear seat... filling the hole, pics inside

super vw
December 30th 2003, 01:13
Well, im going to be runing without a rear seat mainly becuase i will never have any one back there and its heavy and thats not good for an Auto-x. so after you take out the seats you are left with a ugly hole where the battery is housed. i came up with this little framed panel to cover it all, and still be easily accesable. its made from some hard wood and pine (scrapes laying around) and some 1/8 masonite. i made up a frame and skined it with the masinite on one the side. then its moutned to the car with hinges so it can be lifted to get to the battery and whatever else gets housed under it. carpeting will cover the rear along with the panels. i might even get a low profile handle to more easily open them up. they are strong to, i was siting on them without a problem and they felt solid... but i only weigh about 135 pounds so i guess thats not saying much :P

What do ya think?

-Jonathan:silly:

super vw
December 30th 2003, 01:16
another pic

craazy Cooter
December 30th 2003, 02:27
I did the masonite thing but without the wood frame, then I covered it with carpet. Mine's kind of cheap, but looks ok. Besides,
Do I look like a freakin taxi? Nobody asks for rides. Ihat's the way I like it. Oh yeah, more room for groceries....

ShApE
December 30th 2003, 02:32
u took my idea!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well at least i know it looks cool now lol

boygenius
December 30th 2003, 02:37
Nice work. I will make mine out of aluminum sheeting when I get to that point. How much does it weigh.:confused:

zen
December 30th 2003, 10:43
i wasn't concerned about the weight savings so mine is all out of plywood, but sturdy. covered with indoor/outdoor carpet (similar to pro-audio cabinet carpet) from Home Depot at around $10. front part is all one-piece shaped to the tunnel and channels. then one perimeter top piece and then the inset which is just tolerace fit and rests on supports nailed to the perimeter piece underneath. i have since added a nylon pull strap to the inset.

http://volksport.net/images/projpics/zen21.jpg

and yea, i know, kind of inconvenient looking on the head unit, but it has a remote control and it kept my dash clean. i am the type that just throws in an MP3 CDR with hours of music and leaves it on anyway though.

Alex
December 30th 2003, 14:52
Nice job Zen......looks very good.

Alex

zen
December 30th 2003, 18:20
looks better now. just behind it you can see i took the back seat backer and just threw it in there. there is a slight gap between the back of the new piece (where the middle seat belt mounts are...and yes, those are for my shoulder harnesses) and the point where the package tray piece goes under the lip. i took that backseat backer turned it around, tucked it in that lip also, folded it towards the front of the car and tucked it underneath the new backseat board. the angles on the backseat backer happen to match the wheel hump curve perfect. i will take some pics of the finished product.

the eventual goal was to put a 944 backseat rest in there so i could put my kids in if really needed. then it dawned on me that they can not fit between the buckets and mine don't recline. oh well, guess they don't get to ride. :D

super vw
December 30th 2003, 19:49
great minds think alike ;)

Anyways, Zen... i really like how yours turned out! very nice ;)