PDA

View Full Version : Are big Porsche brakes overkill?

Alex
September 11th 2002, 02:46
This is an attempt to get more posts and to give a better understanding to those that are new to this type of brake system.

Here is my point of view:
No!!!! Why? I see it this way. If you have a big motor you should have good brakes as well. Lets say you build a 13 sec 1/4 mile car. You are in the same class now with some Porsches and Ferraris and other quite quick cars. So, going fast is one thing...stopping another. I read quite a few posts on big Porsche brakes being totally overkill. Basically a waste of money.
If you look at other cars....race cars...their brakes grow with the amount of HP they have in the back...or in the front of the car.
There is a very good article on the Superbeetlesonly website.

Here is the link.
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/stuff/vwt.html

Let me know what you think,

Alex

Sandeep
September 11th 2002, 12:24
Yep,

If you just intend to drive the car on the street with a stock engine, then you don't need Porsche brakes.

I have had the opportunity to drive a 911 RSR at a tune and test day and I can definately say that those brakes were AMAZING....huge 4 piston calipers and crossdrilled, vented rotors...

I think that the 993TT setup may be overkill but not in Alex's case (2.6L t4)..and in my case, I'm going to be running in Drivers Eds with car clubs on race tracks....and as I plan on eventually turning my bug into a GT4 race car...I will need these brakes.

Even the 944 N/A brake upgrade is overkill if you are just going to be driving on the street. I think you need to decide on what kind of driving you are going to be doing and what kind of engine you will have....and then decide on the brake system....but upgrade the brakes and suspension before the engine !

Sandeep

NYBugman1972
September 11th 2002, 16:34
Overkill? Can be...

Cool? HELL YEAH!

Verdict: If you can take the hit to your wallet, then cool wins, UNLESS it compromises saftey.

kdanie
September 11th 2002, 17:52
I use brakes hard, even on my wifes minivan (the Race Toaster). I think stock type 1 brakes are marginal for a car with any engine that runs! I have 944N/A brakes on my project, I think they will be adaquate on the street in my type 1. If I find I need more, I will get some big 4 piston Willwood calipers and mount them with the N/A disks (they are a good size and fit inside my 15" wheels). I think everyone needs stainless flex hoses and carbon/metalic pads for everyday driving, but hey, that's just me! When you are in fast traffic you need every advantage you can get!
ken

Superman
September 12th 2002, 02:22
It is my opinion that if the engine is upgraded then the suspension and brakes should be done as well. I guess the overkill factor could be gauged when compared to the power output of the engine.

Now, with that said, I feel the 944NA (non-turbo) brakes are more than sufficent and that the (early) 944T are more than enough.

The larger 993/996 brakes would need a very high output motor to justify their need.

Steve C
September 12th 2002, 09:07
Hi

I found the limit of my brakes a few times (Beetle front discs with Type 4 calipers & 914 rears with Golf calipers) since upgrading my brakes I have not had any stopping problems at all. The Porsche brake upgrade would be useless unless your running a decent cross section tyre, that rules out 135 front tyres, but hey were on the German look forum so I probably didnt need to say that.

Steve C

MdR
September 12th 2002, 16:15
Originally posted by Superman
It is my opinion that if the engine is upgraded then the suspension and brakes should be done as well.
I think the engine should be the last part done, brakes & suspension first! ;)

lightning bug
September 13th 2002, 20:18
Originally posted by MdR
I think the engine should be the last part done, brakes & suspension first! ;)
I'll second that!! I couldn't agree more.

Superman
September 14th 2002, 13:41
Some of us are rich (I wish) and do them all at the same time :silly:

just kidding ;)

MattKab
September 15th 2002, 14:03
I could have built a nice motor for what the wheels/brakes cost!

But the car was **** to drive even with the 1584 L-jet, now it drives mint and is ready to handle massive power.

I plan to increase the hp by about 50hp every couple of years to something over 250 :silly:

Maybe then the Brembo's won't be overkill :D I hope there is some rubber left on these tyres:eek:

Jim Andritsakos
September 15th 2002, 18:45
Hello guys,

Well, no they don't overkill if you make the right choice for your car.

lightning bug
September 16th 2002, 18:37
You can never overkill on brakes. Do you need 996 TT's? Probably not. Your car only weighs 1800- 2000 lbs. I run 993's b/c I got 'em cheap. Could've definitely used 944 T's and would've been fine.