PDA

View Full Version : I have permission to build a race car

jhelgesen
January 7th 2004, 13:21
Not sure if the planets are alligned or what, but the wife gave approval for me to build a race car last night. (paying for it is another matter)

So the question is, what do I build? The plan would be for auto cross and posibly scca or vintage racing (depending on the car)

My options are:
1. formula vee open wheel
2. 69 bug road racer
3. 71-72 super road racer

I'm researching the formula vee right now, would need a chassis and body, can dig up the rest of the parts. I would build a chassis if I could find some drawings or plans to start with, or find a chassis cheap somewhere used.

The 69 bug I have, clean body (no structural rust), solid pan, no motor or tranny yet, ball joint front end.

The 71-72 super, I know where a few are, need to check the heater channels, strut front end.

vujade
January 7th 2004, 13:54
you go boy!

and I thought I had a semi understanding wife :D

zen
January 7th 2004, 15:53
very cool. so does this mean that you aren't going to finish a GL? :rolleyes: :D

jhelgesen
January 7th 2004, 15:59
very cool. so does this mean that you aren't going to finish a GL? :rolleyes: :D

The GL's will get done. The vert is moving into the car port this weekend to start being stripped and officially started. 69 bug will be moved too. 75 bus interior parts are in the den of the house to be cleaned.

NO_H2O
January 7th 2004, 19:17
Race Car = GL Car. I like to keep things simple. :D

Panelfantastic
January 8th 2004, 09:56
Race Car = GL Car. I like to keep things simple. :D

What he said! :D

3MCRacing
January 10th 2004, 18:11
Hey

just read your post and thought you might be interested in some info. I am currently building a car (74 super) for the TCRA under 2.2 challenge class. I have been very interested in FV for a few years but did you know that there is a new class that is trying to get off the ground called Formula First. this new class might or might not replace FV in about 10yrs. did you also know that the engine can cost about $7,000 and the trans can run about $5,000 also depending on where u live parts can be scarce that is one of the reasons for the FF idea. anyway E-mail me and we can talk alot more. I have already started on the front beam for the FF car any way ill get u some linnks to some good FV forums and the FV site that has the rules for FF.

http://norcalfv.proboards19.com/
http://www.formulavee.org/interchange/
http://www.sracing.com/

Well here you go check it out and let me know what u plan on doing

jhelgesen
January 10th 2004, 21:04
Thanks for the info. I hadn't found that forum yet.

I'd love to still find some plans somewhere, or a chassis to measure. So while I'm working on that, I may build a bug, finding out vintage rules and such.

Looks like the formula first stuff will grow over the next few years, looks like fun.

3MCRacing
January 11th 2004, 13:00
Yeah FF is really a East coast thng now alot of West coast guys dont like the idea But i talked to TCRA and they said that a FF car is more than welcome to run there events even if SCCA doesnt adopt the class so if i builtone at least i could take it to the track. i live about 45 mins from Button Willow and the same to Willowsprings What are your plans for the Bug? I have the body off right now and have just finished the rewiring i used a painless FB i im working on the pan but latter i plan on getting rid of the VW pan and fabing my own. anyway talk to u latter

vujade
January 11th 2004, 13:41
John

I think you've given me some inspiration. I think instead of selling my 1302, I might use it for racing too. Ive been really wanting to get into that, but was holding off because I was building the 1302 for street & show. Now Ive got an excuse to keep it :D

jhelgesen
January 12th 2004, 11:40
Racing is an addiction, you will be assimilated.....