PDA

View Full Version : Pep Boys racing seats....sad alternative??

Eurolook71
January 8th 2004, 03:20
OK, so I was at Pep Boys the other day and they sell some (to be honest) really nice racing seats. Now at $160 each, I can't justify spending $300 each for some Corbeaus so...

am I just really really cheap, or would you guys consider the same??
I just want anything but stock seats.

DORIGTT
January 8th 2004, 08:45
In motorcycling I've heard the same question about helmets. Granted the seat and helmet obviously have two totally different duties, but a similiar axiom applies. If you've got a $160.00 head, get the cheap helmet. If you've got a $700.00 head, buy the better one.

With seating, how comfortable in 3-4 months will the $160.00 seats be? What kind of life expectancy, how much more durable will it be than the Corbeaus or the Koenigs or the Recaro, etc?

Not trying to be Johnny-know-it-all, but that's how I view something like this

It's your butt :p

NO_H2O
January 8th 2004, 13:27
I don't know if the $160 Pep Boys seat are any good, but I know some people who have found some nice seats from cars in salvage yards that adapt nicely into a VW with a little cutting and welding. Look at some small Mazdas, BMW's, Honda's. I have seen some realy nice seats in the Toyota Supra's. That is how I plan to find seats for my car. There are aso lots of nice seats removed from small imports so that the owners can put in some cheap Pep Boys seats, and they are in perfect condition. Check out some import shops, BB's and ask around. Find your seats, some donor tracks, paint and a welder and you should find something nice (and cheap).

boygenius
January 8th 2004, 20:12
I'm going to use nissan 240sx seats for my car. They are electric with manual lumbar support. Pretty comfortable also. Just have to make some adapters and I have leather sport seats. :)

volksdragon
January 9th 2004, 01:37
well i don't know about the pep boys seats, but i have the honda prelude seats in my 73. and boy is my butt comfy :D

craazy Cooter
January 9th 2004, 11:39
I used late 80s scirocco seats. Black leather recaros. Theyre so comfortable
I could drive for hours. The side bolsters are fat too. I just chopped the old seat frame, and used some bar stock to weld them in. I retained all of the adjustments.

craazy Cooter
January 9th 2004, 12:26
EUROLOOK 71 How far away are you from the bay area?

Eurolook71
January 9th 2004, 14:29
bay area?? like san fransico area??

I guess about 4-5 hours.....i'm 20 mintues north east of downtown LA.

justdubbin
January 11th 2004, 11:36
Eurolook71, if you would consider putting seats in from a donor car, have you thought about front seats from a Saab ??
Here in the UK the Saab 93 convertable seats have got the highest safety rating of any seat available (standard fitment)

Leather,electrics,heated & safe, what more could you ask for?

Ahh, I thought I'd attached an image of the Saab seat :confused:

Ah ha I have ;)

Rob.

NO_H2O
January 11th 2004, 18:48
Wow, those are some wicked looking seats.

zen
January 11th 2004, 19:45
wow those are nice looking. but what do they weigh?

boygenius
January 11th 2004, 20:09
Wonder what a set of those seats cost. :confused:

Probably more than a set of corbeaus seats. ;)

Panelfantastic
January 11th 2004, 23:48
Gotta back up what Zen said... I put some mid-80's BMW seats in our oval. They are absolute tanks! If I had known before I bought'em, I would have gone a different direction.

Eurolook71
January 12th 2004, 00:15
I wonder about the Pep Boy seats cuz they had that "look" I'm going for. They look just like Recaros...but cheaper....and like I said before the quality looks good, I saw them up close a personal. modern seats you have to do some sort of fab for a mount, these have bolt-in seat rails...is doesnt get easier. Plus, the weight issue, I know I'm not gonna shed much weight of my car that would make a HUGH diff in performance, but If I can save 5 lbs a seat going with these compared to something else (like stock seats out of a some other car) so be it. I looked for pics on the pep boy site, but found none. You guys keep an eye out for the sunday paper, they have an ad with a picture there. Anyway, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

kdanie
January 12th 2004, 16:47
Hey, Eurolook71... good to see you back on the boards. I was in N. Idaho last August but never went east to P.R., too busy.

Let's talk seats... I have checked out the seats at PepBoys too. I will be installing a pair of the $230 black vinyl seats in my BMW, it came with Recarros and they are just plain uncomfortable. The black seats at PepBoys are quite comfortable for me, and I checked them out closely for construction and seem to be pretty good. They are at least as good of quality as those I see sold on ebay for much more. Summit Racing has what appears to be the same seat for $200 ea.

ken

Eurolook71
January 14th 2004, 00:17
Hey Ken, good to see you too! I'm actually back in California now (Alhambra), but I did go and visit my volks for christmas.

ne ways, ah yes seats. I agree, the construction looks great for these, and I cant stress enough how bad I want anything rather than stock seats, and these look great! You will probably get yours before I have mine, let us all know how ya like them!