PDA

View Full Version : drive shaft removal (transmission drop)

super vw
January 11th 2004, 01:43
Ok, im trying to remove my transmission from my 74 super beetle and im having a hard time getting the drive shafts off. first i thought i had the right tool (T-40 torx bit) but i was wrong... i managed to sorta strip one bolt using this torx bit (it has 6 points) but i look in the bently manual and to my suprise i find out its a 12 point... (8mm) deal i need.
So i look for the tool in a motorworks cataloge and find the correct to( i asume)

heres what i found: http://www.motorworks.com/search2_description.asp?UID=2004011021534138&ITEMNO=38100

Does any one know where i can find this as motorworks is out of stock. I will try looking around town again tomorrow, Sears did not have ANY 12 point ones (only 6 point torx).

Thanks!
Jonathan

Bullyboy
January 11th 2004, 11:03
You can use a standard hex key if you are replacing the bolts. We bought our bit from C1P.

boygenius
January 11th 2004, 12:21
I got mine at my local auto parts store. I had to buy a set of four sizes but they were 12 point allen. I belive they were labled as brake tools.

super vw
January 11th 2004, 20:19
BullyBoy, i wouldent recomend using a hex bit, i tryed that and it striped one of the bolts a bit. you need all the seraded things filled in order for it to not strip (12 points).

I got mine at my local auto parts store. I had to buy a set of four sizes but they were 12 point allen. I belive they were labled as brake tools.

Well the search is over, i found one today after going to 3 auto parts stores. one had one that will work, its a 1/2" drive though, so i will have to use a 1/2 drive socket to make it work... as its not in socket form from the getgo.

BTW, what works good and easy for cleaning up the trans case... so everything is factory fresh looking (silver not brown :O) i have like 1/4" of crud caked on. somthing thats safe on aluminum (trans in aluminum right?)

Later
Jonathan

boygenius
January 11th 2004, 20:31
I thought the tranny case was magnesium alloy? I like to use Suzuki motorcycle wash on everything. It's a strong degreaser and it won't hurt the aluminum finnish. You could always use an engine degreaser from the auto parts store. Use a stiff bristled wheel brush and a high powered garden hose. Hope this helps. :)