PDA

View Full Version : bearing conversion

55rag
September 11th 2002, 18:04
Has anyone looked into running adapter bearings to mount 944 hubs to cb spindles instead of machining? I am going to check with a bearing supply shop near me. I just need to get the measurements for both inner and outer bearings.

outside diameter of 944
inside diameter of vw

If anyone has these, I would appreciate the info. I will post what I find out.

Thanks

ricola
September 12th 2002, 03:30
I'm sure people on here have looked into this, myself included. Bearings don't exist that could be used off the shelf as the difference in diameters is too great for the rollers.

Rich

kdanie
September 12th 2002, 12:22
I made spacers for the ID of the bearings, easy/cheap. The seal is a tougher problem, I had spacers made because I could not machine them smooth enough with the lathe I have access to. The bearing spacers do not need to be so smooth.
ken

ricola
September 12th 2002, 13:22
I have found some seals of the correct dimensions, I have some spare...

Rich

55rag
September 12th 2002, 19:50
kdanie,
Do you have measurements for those adapters? Did you have to space the hub out from the spindle? Thanks for any info.

kdanie
September 16th 2002, 15:38
55rag, I don't have those measurements handy. If I pull the hub off I will try and remember to measure them. It is not hard to figure it out. Just mic the spindle where the bearings ride and mic the inside of the bearings. The seal is a little trickier because it is flexable but the same theory applies. No, I did not space the hub out, it fit perfectly. If you can not find a seal that would work without a spacer, use VW IRS rear hub seals for $2 ea. or Porsche front hub seals for $9 ea., easy choice to me!
ken