PDA

View Full Version : I just got laid off.

yetibone
January 27th 2004, 18:33
...But, I've already found another job. :D

My boss told me just before I left work today that he has to downsize his buisness, and that he cannot afford to pay for more than three employees. Currently, Myself, annother mechanic, my boss' 16 year old son, his 19 year old daughter, and his wife are on the payroll. Me, the other mechanic, and his wife (who never actually shows up to work there) get a salary, his kids work hourly. Me and the other guy are getting the boot effective Friday.

Soooo, I talked to another independent shop owner who happened to be looking for help, a little farther away from the house, but not far, who's gonna give me a job starting monday. I'll be getting paid commission, instead of a salary, but at least it's a job.

Yetibone

jhelgesen
January 27th 2004, 19:42
Yikes dude, glad you got something so quick. I've been looking for something new for half a year and haven't had even an interview yet. Let me know how it works out.

boygenius
January 27th 2004, 19:48
That sucks big *****. :mad:

At least you found another job so quickly, I hope this will be a change for the better for you. :)

NO_H2O
January 27th 2004, 19:56
That blows. Sounds like what happened to my wife. At least you can go from one job to another without missing much time.

Supa Ninja
January 27th 2004, 21:06
We just had lay offs at my work a couple of weeks ago, 7 out of 31 employees were let go. I was lucky once again, hopefully the economy will continue to do better.

Nick

zen
January 27th 2004, 22:00
sorry and congrats. that is fortunate to have a quick turnaround.

working for the company i do, the layoffs come about 10,000 at a time. i've been lucky so far. they seem to be staying away from IT.

hybrid_john
January 28th 2004, 00:02
Sorry man, I know what your going through...I'm kinda looking at the boot myself. I was told if I didn't bring the volume of my department up I would be fired! At least you got a new job, if I got fired I wouldn't be able to find a job for at least three to six months out here....the economy sucks!

Good Luck

John

yellow73
January 28th 2004, 00:13
Good luck with the new job, I hope that it works out well for you.

vujade
February 3rd 2004, 13:26
Damm that sux! I hope your new job works out even better ;)

zen
February 3rd 2004, 14:33
so how was the first and second day on the job?

yetibone
February 3rd 2004, 19:43
So far, so good! My new boss said I could use the shop after-hours and weekends for my stuff :D :D :D , got plenty of work ot keep me occupied, and already posted 20 hours in the past two days!

Yesterday, I put a clutch in a Honduh Civic, wiper motor and module on a Z71, diagnosed a hard start issue and replaced a leaking steering box on another Z71, serviced an Expedition, and checked/cleaned the brakes and checked the alignment on a beat up Taurus.

Today, diagnosed and replaced the thermostat and a set of plugs in a Dodge van that was running rough, replaced the dizzy in a Honduh Accorn that wouldn't start (no fire), and replaced the timing belt, hoses, thermostat, oil and filter on a 2.3L Ford Ranger

I should'ive got a job here years ago!

Yetibone

craazy Cooter
February 3rd 2004, 22:59
Yetibone! We're both pro mechanics! I've done ahundred modules on gm trucks, more honda distributors than I can count, and too many 2.3l fords.
At my old shop I did everything, and I was the main guy. I just got a new job ata a ferrari/porsche shop so I'm counting my blessings. Do you have your ASE's yet? My old shop had to hire 2 guys just to keep up with the amount of work I did. Congratulations on the new job! :agree:

yetibone
February 4th 2004, 19:18
I wore a lot of hats at my old job too. Service writer, shop foreman, accounts recievable, and service advisor. Three years ago, I told my boss that I was tired of being all things to all customers on account of his frequent absence from the shop, and he FINALLY started showing up for work at 8:00, and stopped taking 3 hour lunches, and leaving 2 hours early every day. Since then, we more or less shared the PR positions, and I was the main wrench spinner.

Where I work now, all I have to do is be a mechanic, and nothing else. I still work on most anything, including tractors, ATV's, and +1 ton trucks, but the majority of our work is done to passenger cars, and light trucks.

The new facilities are larger, cleaner, the equipment is newer, and better, and it's a nice, non-corperate, laid back environment with a lot of good jobs to do. So far I'm up to 32 hrs for the week, and it's only Wednsday :D . My productivity has soared beacuse I don't have the constant distractions that I did at my old job like answering customers Q's, and ordering parts, etc...

I REALLY should have made the move a long time ago.

I only have ASE certification for handling R-12 refrigerant because it's required by law. I don't really have much reason to go for a master certification since I have no competiton at this shop. It's just me, and my boss, who was an ASE master mechanic, but hasn't gotten re-certified in over 6 years. My rate of pay at this shop would be no better if I had an ASE master certification.

Yetibone

craazy Cooter
February 4th 2004, 22:17
Sounds like we both had the same job duties. My old boss would always leave early, or every hour for half an hour to all day. I was service writer, parts oderer guy, head tech, and both guys' problem solver. I everything but accounting. My boss didn't know how to diagnose anything so he would spend days on a car. He couldn't find a leaking egr valve to save his life. He would just throw parts on the cars until the customers were bankrupt. New jobs kick ***.

boygenius
February 5th 2004, 00:01
My boss didn't know how to diagnose anything so he would spend days on a car. He couldn't find a leaking egr valve to save his life. He would just throw parts on the cars until the customers were bankrupt. New jobs kick ***.

Sounds like my service manager. :laugh:

We don't let him touch any bikes or atv's.

We tell him the best way he can help us is to stay behind his desk. :)

Oh yea, the owner of my shop is on vacation 3 out of 4 weeks a month. He needs a vacation to recover from his vacation and we only get 2 weeks a year. :(

hybrid_john
February 6th 2004, 03:11
Try being the middle man. My boss (store owner) gambles about 1200 to $3000 a day and can't afford to give me a raise, rides my butt all the time because my workers are lazy and don't know anything about culling fruits and vegetables so everything rots on the rack. And best of all, I have to deal with his caniving wife as well... :eek:

At least I can go home and work on my VW :D

John

oldyeler
February 20th 2004, 13:46
I 've been setting on pins and needles for the past 3 month , lookin for a dismissle just any time. I have been lookin for a nother job and I been squirreling back as much as I can spare. Im glad some of you have been lucky

zen
February 20th 2004, 15:20
a little off subject, but when i get my email notification on this, the subject lines comes across minus the word "off". guess that would be a whole lot better than getting laid off. :laugh:

good luck yeller!

oldyeler
February 21st 2004, 11:54
OH great one more thing to have to apollagize for :rolleyes:

Laid ? :confused: That's not gonna happen the job I have has got me so stressed out working 12hr nites I don't have the energy, :sleep: Im even starting to get ill over it :eek: