PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper design idea

jhelgesen
January 29th 2004, 14:19
Hey Guys,

I haven't liked what I've seen for super front ends, so I've decided to make my own. Probably fiberglass. Of the sketchs I've done so far, I like this one best. Design would cover the existing bumper to give it some strength. Haven't decided if it needs additional lights under the bumper or not, don't want to be too ricey. Center opening would be matte black with a screen cover.

What do you think?

http://members.rennlist.com/screamin_yellow/front.jpg

vujade
January 29th 2004, 14:22
John

I love it! Leave it alone, it looks great :D

kenfyoozed
January 29th 2004, 16:12
if you do it, and decide to make a production run, dont leave us std beetle guys out. ill even donate a bumper for you to build from.

and i agree, looks awesome.

go with it.

neil

zen
January 29th 2004, 16:36
VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!! love the look of it.

one thought. i have been thinking about the problem in which air collects under the fenders. i know venting the back of the fender helps that, but what about covering as much of the area as possible with a skid plate type covering. not sure if this is the right application, but the thought was to carry the bottom turn back of the spoiler back as a skid plate and secure it into the pan or frame somewhere. maybe carry it as far back as the tie rod of course leaving a radius for the wheel turning. would this even help air pocketing? seems like this would also help reduce any flex in the spoiler (could be bad for when you hit speed bumps though). :confused:

jhelgesen
January 29th 2004, 16:43
Two issues I have that go hand in hand are what will be clearance to the ground and how to protect it. Height I'll have to figure out when I have my car at the correct ride height. Protection may come from a sheet of HDPE secured to the bottom, acting as a skid plate. Its pretty slipery stuff.

The whole thing is mushrooming as I just thought, I'll probably have to do something on the back too, although I do like the drilled apron look I've seen on some of the euro cars.

Panelfantastic
January 29th 2004, 19:51
This may not make sense but... I like it when you take it right up to the body and stop with a clean edge. I've seen some where they turned the edge up a little to "form" it into the body, looks terrible. An example would be how the fenders themselves bolt on. Always been a striking feature to me with the beading and all...a front bumper done the same way would look super sano (no pun intended :D ).

boygenius
January 29th 2004, 20:23
I like it. I didn't know you were an artist. :)

If you are worried about scraping I have an idea. I saw a car that had a thick rubber skirt that would wear away from dragging on the ground and then be replaced. That way you could keep unwanted air from under your car without damaging you bumper.

jhelgesen
January 29th 2004, 22:49
This may not make sense but... I like it when you take it right up to the body and stop with a clean edge. I've seen some where they turned the edge up a little to "form" it into the body, looks terrible. An example would be how the fenders themselves bolt on. Always been a striking feature to me with the beading and all...a front bumper done the same way would look super sano (no pun intended :D ).

I know what you are talking about. I think there was a 356 bumper that was painted to match and mated up to the front of the body. Have to see if I can find a picture.

NYBugman1972
January 29th 2004, 22:57
It looks like the E46 M3 front bumper or the Customs by Bernt front bumper for the New Beetle.

http://www.kelleners-sport.co.jp/images/sp_e46_m3.jpg

http://www.beetlegirl.com/candy.jpg

Of course, this is not a bad thing :)

SuperRSi
January 29th 2004, 23:33
I've been thinking about the same thing over in Texas. One thought was to include the driving/fog lights as used on European 944/968's. With a central opening for the oil cooler, how about venting up over the hood opening area ala GT2 and it would give hood clearance. I also agree that bringing the bumper to the body ala 356 is nice. Do you guys think it needs to have the bumper inside or would a relatively strong glass unit be enough? Nice drawing and right on track.

Thanks,

Randy