PDA

View Full Version : Vw transaxle Max Hp list?? input needed.

miller
February 4th 2004, 02:38
hey can I get a list of Max Hp on these various Vw/porsche based transaxles?

I just want like max Hp put through it stock and max hp put through modified

Ok So here is the list ive gotten so far of trannies that fit the type1/4 bolt pattern and all that.

Type 1 Swing axle
Type 1 IRS
Type 2 002? I think
Type 2 091
Porsche 901
Porsche 915

Oh and if you guys wanna list pro's and cons of each tranny that would help too. I know tranny questions about Max Hp come up alot so I just wanted a thread that covered the basics.

Supa Ninja
February 4th 2004, 04:57
I was at the local Porsche shop and the word on the street is the 901 doesn't like drag starts, can bend the input shaft. But has 5 speeds, not much bigger then a type 1 tranny, two different size output flange options, fairly straight forward conversion, relatively inexpensive. I hope this helps. I think the max is 120hp but don't quote me.

Nick

vujade
February 4th 2004, 08:25
from what I have read on the Porsche 914 Forums, The 901 Box is good to 200 HP and the 915 Box is good to about 300 HP

Panelfantastic
February 4th 2004, 11:25
Just from looking at the pictures on ebay of the bellhousings, it looks like any aircooled Porsche tranny would bolt up. Getting the clutch sorted is another story... Plus they are a LOT bigger/heavier so some serious fab work for mounts and massaging of sheet metal and then there's the ever popular problem of gear ratios not compatible with VW power curve.
But still... I ain't skeered :laugh: , the GL bus will have a tranny transplant of some sort.

G-MAN
March 13th 2004, 10:09
Hi,my stock 34PS swingaxle gearbox with only 40tkm on it except 160PS and 200Nm over 15tkm until now..hope it does it this year too..than i install a 901 5-Speed with a 944 axle.

Michael Ghia
March 19th 2004, 03:06
Within racing Porsches, the figures achieved using Porsche boxes have been as follows.

901/914 250bhp max. This is without launching it as with Porsches it's used for track racing.

915 450bhp max... you'll need an LSD from about 300bhp onwards to get the power down. Russ Fellows (street and strip bug) is chucking 350bhp through his with an LSD and is breaking 944 driveshafts so it's pretty strong.

Bug box... I think about 100-110 bhp is usually the norm but if you go sidestepping the clutch at 5,000rpm every time to you want to set off.. it won't last long.

IRS boxes are not as strong as swing axle, you'll break the output shafts from the diff after a while.

T2 5 speed gearboxes, forget the 5 speed. It's a dogleg 1st and it's a lot weaker than a 4 speed.

T2 4-speed is used a lot in offroading and drag racing and if you want a very serious box which you can pull wheel stands in... then this may be it.

MG

VRSICK
November 8th 2004, 17:59
Within racing Porsches, the figures achieved using Porsche boxes have been as follows.

901/914 250bhp max. This is without launching it as with Porsches it's used for track racing.

915 450bhp max... you'll need an LSD from about 300bhp onwards to get the power down. Russ Fellows (street and strip bug) is chucking 350bhp through his with an LSD and is breaking 944 driveshafts so it's pretty strong.

Bug box... I think about 100-110 bhp is usually the norm but if you go sidestepping the clutch at 5,000rpm every time to you want to set off.. it won't last long.

IRS boxes are not as strong as swing axle, you'll break the output shafts from the diff after a while.

T2 5 speed gearboxes, forget the 5 speed. It's a dogleg 1st and it's a lot weaker than a 4 speed.

T2 4-speed is used a lot in offroading and drag racing and if you want a very serious box which you can pull wheel stands in... then this may be it.

MG

Stupid question, but how do you know the difference between an IRS and a swing axle box? ANs what about the 002, and 091 in terms of bhp/ft lbs

Bruce2
November 9th 2004, 04:08
Is this a double side cover IRS, or Single side cover? Are you talking about 17 tooth side gears or 15 tooth gears? The two different side gears are vastly different in strength, which one do you have experience with?