PDA

View Full Version : Leaking transmission

boygenius
February 8th 2004, 17:43
I turned my chassis upside down to install my rear swaybar. I installed the transmission along with the trailing arms. When I inverted the transmission it began to leak gear lube from the top front of the case. It looks like it is leaking from the front gasket between the nose cone and the body of the transmission. Is there a vent there and the leaking is normal or do I have to pull the nose cone off and replace the gasket. Just to let you know the transmission is a brand new built unit. :confused:

zen
February 8th 2004, 18:43
the parallels on our projects are killing me. i crawled under my car to work on routing of my accel cable about an hour ago and noticed a small leak at my nose cone gasket. mine is on the bottom though. not enough for it to hit the ground for the 2.5 months it has been at the new place, but it is there.

my tranny is brand new too, but i had to swap nose cones as the new one had the wrong one on. guess i will be doing that again. :bawling: and i almost have everything together. just have to decide now if it is too bad to drive or if i can live with it to get it to Dyno Day and maybe through the spring and do it over the summer.

boygenius
February 8th 2004, 18:49
If its only a little wet but not dripping on the ground I wouldn't worry about it now. Are cars must be twins. :laugh:

scottystraub
February 8th 2004, 23:35
same thing happend to me years ago, if i remember right there is a vent on the nose cone.

boygenius
February 8th 2004, 23:40
Sweet, I hope that is my case. :clap:

I don't want to have to take anything else apart. :bawling:

Bruce2
February 9th 2004, 22:25
If its a Type 1 transmission then it has a vent at the top of the nose cone. It'll leak quite well if you turn it over.

boygenius
February 9th 2004, 22:40
Yep its a type one. I will have to put some more gear lube back in it when I flip the chassis back over. :laugh: