PDA

View Full Version : Ugly TDI pix.

NO_H2O
February 9th 2004, 16:03
Well here is what it looks like with the head off. My wife was driveing the kids to school and said the car died when she pulled onto the hwy. She didn't get 20ft. and it stopped. I thought that it jumped timming but I'm not sure it didn't drop a valve as the marks were lined up. :bawling:

boygenius
February 9th 2004, 16:27
:banghead:

It makes me sick to see that happen to an engine. :bawling:

Sorry man. :(

Rob
February 9th 2004, 16:28
Wow, that's ugly :eek:

Never seen the inside of a TDI...looks like the pistons have a factory hole or
something in it ? (Not referring to the crunched piston).

Rob.

NO_H2O
February 9th 2004, 17:54
They do have a funky cavity in them. Maybe they are for collecting broken valves.

Panelfantastic
February 9th 2004, 21:09
Special quench area for that 18 to 1 compression.

NO_H2O
February 10th 2004, 06:18
Wep, but they do collect broken valves very well. There is no room for error in this engine, if you are off just a little, it gets ugly.

vujade
February 10th 2004, 08:58
man that sux! :mad:

what are you gonna do Dave?

zen
February 10th 2004, 09:03
:bawling: ouch. i hate that for you dude. things like that come at the crappest of times. i'll let you know if i come up with any other sources for a replacement today.

Sandeep
February 10th 2004, 10:16
WOW :eek: I hope it can be fixed.

Sandeep

NO_H2O
February 10th 2004, 18:23
Well a new head is about $1,400, new pistons ? Are the rods bent? Is the crank bent? New timing belt kit $180. Then there is the machine work.
I found an egine (complete) with 15,000 miles on it from a 2002 for $2500.

yellow73
February 11th 2004, 01:15
Dave,
Sorry to see the damage to the engine, I will call you when I get back in town.

yetibone
February 15th 2004, 12:50
Man, that hurts to look at! :bawling:

Barring a look inside the crankcase, I'd just replace the whole works. You can't fix what you got easily for less than 25 Benjamins.

Yetibone

NO_H2O
February 15th 2004, 13:06
I picked up the engine and have the munched one out. Ran into some stretch bolts (1 time use) that hold the flexplate(flywheel) on. So we had to stop untill I can get some from VW. So it will be a little longer to get it done. Instead of getting my $250 core charge back, i will be parting out some of the accessories out. I will let Dave(the guy that is helping me and letting me use his shop) will be getting the intake and injector pump. When i told him that, he then installed a 6 disc CD changer in the trunk of the Jetta that he got from a wrecked NB as an added bonus for letting him keep those parts. I will sell the turbo/exhaust and other parts I get off the old engine to try and get some of my $$ back.

hybrid_john
February 16th 2004, 03:44
Well....I hope that everyhting goese ok for you Dave.

That one was pretty ugly, couldn't really look at it for very long :(

Sorry Man and good luck!

John