PDA

View Full Version : HID Euro headlight kit

VEEMAN
February 25th 2004, 13:23
I was looking through E-bay and come across the above mentioned kit ( item 2462448814).
I was wondering if any one in the States can clarify with me that the above kit would be suitable for a right hand drive car.I have been in touch with the guy who is selling them, but he is not on my wavelength.All I asked him was the lights RHD or LHD spec.As I did not want to put an beam deflector sticker on the front of the lense to convert them into RHD format.My answer from this guy was " neutral ".
I must be talking in an alien language or something ( I know you are going to say " what's he talking about " ).
So can anyone on the forumn answer me,is the above kit on E-bay suitable
for RHD.
Cheers
VEEMAN

samcat
February 25th 2004, 14:11
Its not a proper HID kit.... Its H4 bulbs in a conversion thingy...

2462384078 is a 'real' HID kit... Bit of a price difference ;)

Cya,
Sam C

justdubbin
February 26th 2004, 15:05
Like Sam said 'it's not an HID kit' but what I think what the seller means when he replied 'neutral' was that these don't have a beam pattern 'as such' like what you would tend to think of in the UK (left hand h-lamp having a longer beam than the right) in the US I think they both tend to be the same but they reflect lower to compensate for this.

Rob.

VEEMAN
February 26th 2004, 15:44
Thanks for the info justdubbin and Sam.It did not make sense to me with the reply from the Guy as neutral.When I asked him to explain this term he did not have a clue.I even asked for him to check the specs on the lights but just got sorry do not know.
So how can you use such a light with a wide beam width over here in the UK,which will pass the UK M.O.T.Will a beam correction sticker on the lense deflect the unwanted beam pattern ,to correct it.
I'm a little bit in the dark with these new style lights,I know where I'm at with handed light units.But I'm willing to read comments and learn
Cheers
VEEMAN

justdubbin
February 26th 2004, 15:59
So how can you use such a light with a wide beam width over here in the UK,which will pass the UK M.O.T.Will a beam correction sticker on the lense deflect the unwanted beam pattern ,to correct it.
I'm a little bit in the dark with these new style lights,I know where I'm at with handed light units.But I'm willing to read comments and learn
Cheers
VEEMAN

Fit a cheap pair of sealed beams for the MOT the re-fit th Euro-spec once it's passed :agree: :laugh:
Thats what I'll be doing with my all red US spec rear light lens.

Rob.

VEEMAN
February 26th 2004, 16:08
Fair comment,but will still have to get the new lights aligned to use on the road.Hence I will be in the same boat again.Knowing my luck I would get pulled by the Law for misaligned headlights.
Cheers
VEEMAN

justdubbin
February 26th 2004, 16:57
Are you a member of a VDub club? if not then why not :laugh: most clubs have a friendly MOT station who know the that actually Beetles & Buses DO have that amount of play in the steering etc. well if you have a word I'm sure they will be able to set these lights up to be as legal as possible :agree:
I think if you want it bad then you'll be able to get around it some way or another.

VEEMAN
February 27th 2004, 10:51
No I'm not a member of a Vdub club,most of the one's in this neck of the woods just fold due to lack of interest.
I will take what you say on board and look into this matter further.Many thanks to every one for the advice and help
Cheers
Vince