PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Beetle for German Look

hawaiianvw67
September 16th 2002, 17:53
Alohas,

Anyone in the States using a Mexican Beetle to make a GL? Just wondering. I'm guessing that it might be a hassle to register a GL Mexican Beetle (if it has a Type IV engine for instance) and pass smog tests.

However, they do look nice from the factory...really tempting to just buy one of those over searching for an older Super that isn't trashed.

Any opinions? How about Mexican Beetles not in the U.S.?

lightning bug
September 16th 2002, 18:30
My friend has a Mex. bug. Its basically a '70's standard with a nice FI set-up, ft. discs and and a swingaxle pan. It is brand new though.... and only 11K.

hawaiianvw67
September 16th 2002, 22:01
Alohas,

Don't the new Mexi Beetles have IRS?

~Joel

Superman
September 16th 2002, 22:28
All Mexi-bugs have swing axles. To legally register one for street use, in my state anyway, you would have to remove the body and put it on an old pan and register that chassis number. Basically it's not worth it in my opinion.

Get a Super http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

vujade
September 16th 2002, 23:35
almost all of the Mexi's in this country are registered as older beetles, usually you have to do a pan swap to a pre 77 type 1 beetle pan. I'm with Supe on this one, get a SB!

bren
September 17th 2002, 04:52
for those that dont want a super, and those that live in damp countries where rust is a major issue when building a bug (UK for instance!) using a brand new mexican body and putting it on your old 70's pan is definately a serious option! i spent over £3500 getting my 73 body into shape.. more than the cost of a mex shell! ...and my german shell now consists of over 80% mexican panels!! :silly:
there are quite a few complete mex bugs running as GL's in europe.. CSP do a nice turbo conversion for the stock FI motor.. doesnt turn it into a rocketship, but definately an option over a stock 2l T4 conversion!

lightning bug
September 17th 2002, 19:33
If you go to the "general galleries", 10th row down. I read in Trends that this bug was a Mex. (Black Bugart Beetle) Sweet looking rig I might add.

Superman
September 17th 2002, 22:11
Bren, the Mexi Bug can be registered as is without using an old pan in your country... correct? Too bad we can't do that in USA.

bren
September 18th 2002, 05:03
yeah thats right superman.. great as astockish daily runner, but the only problem with using a complete mex as a basis for a project over here is that you have to keep the exhaust cat or at least an exhaust cat in there.. means power potential is lower.. you cant go and stick a monster T4 in there unless it has FI and a cat.

fortunately theres a couple of ways round it... either fit a mexi shell onto your old german pan, hence keeping the identity of your old german bug, or another common practice is to use a mexi pan under your good condition shell. mike ghias old pan under his oval was a mexican one converted to IRS.. my friend keith now has that pan and will be fitting it under his 71 1200 shell when it comes out of the bodyshop.

unfortunately you cant use both a new mex shell AND pan or else you'll have to put it through an sva test.. basically the test that all new production cars go through before sale in the UK.. means you'll end up with 2002 plates.

dont forget none of the above are simple bolt up swaps.. all mex bugs are LHD.. we run RHD cars here!

hawaiianvw67
September 18th 2002, 06:44
Alohas,

Wow, good to know all this info. Down here in Hawai'i, you would not believe the rust. Honestly...its just plain scary. I've thought about looking for a good Super, however, even the "nice" ones I see, are pretty decrepit compared to even older Standards on the mainland.

How much would it cost to purchase just the shell of a Mexi bug? Just wondering if there is even easy access to a Mexi bug shell without having to pay some firm that has a monopoly on importing them for the WHOLE car and then tearing it apart (I could never bring myself to do that).

~Joel

Steve C
September 18th 2002, 08:31
Hi

This might be a little on the shady side, but couldnt you just cut the chassis/vin number out of a junk chassis and weld it into your mex pan? Then you have a early chassis number, who would know?

Steve C

lightning bug
September 18th 2002, 16:10
My friend is planning to use the stock EFI in conjunction with an SDS controller on a 2L turbo on his Mex. You can change the exhaust and get rid of the cat. You just need to swap ECU's.