PDA

View Full Version : Scored some seats

NO_H2O
March 1st 2004, 09:43
Well my friend Dave(TDI Guy) hooked me up at the salvage yard his nieghbor manages. He got me a pair of sport seats from a 2003 Celica GTS. Best part was the price, just come and get-em. He got some seats for his Jeep and a A-4 Jetta hood that he wants to get a mold from to make Carbon Fiber hoods(he used to work in the composite shop at Delta, Now works in the 5 axis router shop). Anyway, here are the pix of them in Daves shop, still dirty. Can't wait to see them clean and installed.
I think I will try to make some mounting brakets from flat stock steel and bolt them thru the floor with bar straps on the bottom of the pan. Any other ideas?

Rob
March 1st 2004, 10:21
:agree:

D@mn ! those are nice seats !
Do they have good side-support ?
Can't believe you got them for free.....crazy !
Good for you.

Rob.

boygenius
March 1st 2004, 14:15
I would bolt them to your seat rails since they are stronger than the floor and that way there won't be bars of steel sticking out the bottom of your car. :laugh: Or if you have any VW seats that are falling apart you could use the bottom of them to weld to the celica seats to take up the height differance and also retain the stock slider funtion.

zen
March 1st 2004, 14:25
those are going to look great in your car. ver cool score. i would weld to the stock frames if you can just to make height easy. you saw how big my mounts are and i am sitting pretty close to the floor because of the chop. my brackets and sliders weigh twice as much as the seats themselves.

NO_H2O
March 1st 2004, 16:50
I had a set of 71-72 seats but I gave them away last year. I don't want to cut the seats that are in it now. Maybe I can find a set of donor bottoms to cut up and weld to these.

Panelfantastic
March 2nd 2004, 11:21
They look awesome. I've got $500 tied up in mine and they don't look that good! :bawling:

NO_H2O
March 2nd 2004, 17:16
I'm still thinking about how to mount them. The glide tracks and locks on the seats are far better than the VW tracks in the pan. I can make a jig and heat/bend some 1x1/8 flat steel and make 4 brackets to weld to the bottom of the seat tracks and bolt thru the floor with straps under the pan to reinforce the mounting. I think that would be the most secure way to mount them, I just hate to drill holes in my pad. I guess I could always weld them(the holes) up if I change my mind, it's not like I don't have a welder.

zen
March 2nd 2004, 17:35
just bolted one of mine in last night with that setup. its nice and tight. i was concerned about pan flex. i don't love the design, but it works.

yetibone
March 2nd 2004, 20:22
I think Genius' idea is where it's at. That's how I did the 1302's E36 Beemer seats. Four pieces of angle iron, and some tracks off some old seats.

Cutting the old seat frames about 2" vertical from the tracks made 'em just the right height. Now, with so much adjustment, I can put either seat as far back as the leading edge of the back seat, or as far foreward as 12" from the dash :laugh:

I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the 1302's perfect floorpans.

Yetibone

boygenius
March 2nd 2004, 20:52
I think Genius' idea is where it's at. That's how I did the 1302's E36 Beemer seats. Four pieces of angle iron, and some tracks off some old seats.

Cutting the old seat frames about 2" vertical from the tracks made 'em just the right height. Now, with so much adjustment, I can put either seat as far back as the leading edge of the back seat, or as far foreward as 12" from the dash :laugh:

I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the 1302's perfect floorpans.

Yetibone

After I spent probably 25 hours painting and wet sanding my floorpans I couldn't even think of drilling holes in the floor or the rails. I might be a little anal retentive but you can read the time on your watch in the paint on my floors, even the bottom. :laugh:

NO_H2O
March 2nd 2004, 21:28
I don't want to drill mine either. They ain't shiney but they are perfect and original. I will try to score some donors tomorrow and see how it works out.
:confused:

Supa Ninja
March 2nd 2004, 22:19
I did like boy genious and i like how mine turned out. I have a friend with a 99 gts and i like his seats. I'm using '89 Sprint Gti seats and they look good in my Supa.

petevw
March 3rd 2004, 03:56
Or if you have any VW seats that are falling apart you could use the bottom of them to weld to the celica seats to take up the height differance and also retain the stock slider funtion.

thats what i did with my VR6 seats. slides back/forth, and up/down.

ajracer
March 3rd 2004, 23:53
Just a thought along with the others mentioned. I also didn't want
to cut or damage my seat frame/floor rails, so I had a friend make
or bend a bottom "<-->" upside down C shaped rail / slider about
same length as the original bottom "seat rail". I then checked out
height I wanted and where I wanted my seat (pair Japanese seats)
before fabricating some vertical channel steel to which I welded the
complete slider unit from my new seats. Hopefully the verbal picture
is explanatory so far.

Now since I used new sliders/seat rails and in order to complete the
install I needed to "anchor" the new seat rails to the floor rails (since
I didn't need any adjustments; they were part of my new seats). So
I did a little modification (incidential and not seen); I drilled a 1/4" hole
on each rail, through my fab rails and through floor rail (only) inserted
a quality bolt/nut to keep each of the rails from moving; and gives the
ablility to "set" new seat frame in place where you want it. That's it !
Looks good, functional and solid. Hopefully this will help someone.

Allan