PDA

View Full Version : sound dampening...

'74super
March 12th 2004, 23:33
i read one of the tech articles on this site about sound dampening your interior. i know that dynamat is obviously one of the more dominant companies in this area but i was wondering if there were any others out there. i also know that you can buy sheets of sound dampening material for your home at home depot for much cheaper. would these work in the same way as the ones made specifically for auto use? dynamat is a little on the expensive side...and also when applying it do you aplly the whole sheet or just in little strips. in vw trends they did little strips but in the tech artice he just covered everything with it...thanks for the info.

zen
March 14th 2004, 20:56
PartsExpress.com (http://www.partsexpress.com) and do a search on "dampening". i used the sheets.

NO_H2O
March 14th 2004, 21:26
I apply it in large sheets. You do not have to cover every inch of the car with it. The object is to stop the viberation, so don't worry about getting it into every nook and cranny.
I would do both sides of the firewall.

gonzojoey
March 21st 2004, 05:03
I used some dampening material from http://www.mcmaster.com/ . It's part number 9709T19. It works great! I covered the entire floor, rear compartment, doors and quarters with 3 rolls (with some left over). :cool:

NO_H2O
March 21st 2004, 08:27
Yep, that is the same stuff as www.partsexpress.com sells. It is a little heavy but it works well. It is the same stuff a dynomat less the logo.

Panelfantastic
March 21st 2004, 09:19
What about the lightweight stuff they list? Anybody tried it to see how it compares to the asphalt based stuff?
There is also a company called B-quiet that offers a product called brown bread (and a full line of other stuff). I bought some, same as Dyna, a little cheaper. Is on ebay.
I'm tempted to buy some of the light stuff just to experiment...

NO_H2O
March 21st 2004, 14:37
I havn't used the light stuff yet. Then name of the game is to keep the sheet metal from vibrating or damped the vibration so the sound waves don't transfer from one side to the other. If it looks and feels like it will do that then it will likely work.