PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about it.

NO_H2O
April 3rd 2004, 19:11
Ok, Spring has sprung and the weather is getting warmer (on this end of the globe anyway). It seams that activity on the forum has slowed way down this winter. But now it is time to come out and play. Lets hear about what everyone has been up to. Just as the buds are coming out on the plants, lets come on out and get things blooming on thew forum. Even if you havn't been doing it, you have been thinking about doing things or starting projects.
Don't be shy, we don't bite. And we would love to hear (read) from you.

boygenius
April 3rd 2004, 19:46
Where to begin.

I stripped and seam welded the shock towers and re-re-painted my front beam and I will be replacing the ball joint boots with the ones that I got at the silver dollar raceway event.

I will be installing my kafer cup brace by next weekend, hopefully...

I have been doing some bodywork to the front of my car, mostly rust and bondo removal. :rolleyes:

Welded in the rear anti sway-bar mounts to the torsion tubes.

Welded in the lower rear shock tower braces and have the upper ones to weld in this weekend.

I can't forget to order some new bump stops and weld some tabs for them so I won't bottom out my trailiing arms.

Rebuild my brake calipers and paint them. (black)

I have plumb my new brake lines and make a few other misc. parts for the brake setup.

Did I leave anything out... :laugh:

I suddenly realized that I only have 6 months left to get my car ready for the car show formally known as bugjam...

NO_H2O
April 3rd 2004, 20:32
I didn't get as much done this winter as I would have liked. I did get the 914 dash panel in, pedal covers made, new seats in (have to make the rest of the int. match now), Carbon fiber running boards on (thanks to the GL tech article contest), 2 ea. Volvo oil coolers and remote filter mount in. My 2275 is now a short block and balanced to .21 oz inch (improved with the 2nd set of rods) thanks to Jake.
I would have liked to had my 901 done and in and the new engine installed. But dropping to a single income and loosing the engine in my wifes TDI realy put a damper on things. I'm still rolling with the old 1641 and going to events, so I'm still happy.

Supa Ninja
April 3rd 2004, 20:49
I finally got my 901 w/914 gears together, fitted the rear mount, waiting for 914 flyheel to arrive to make sure i got enough clearance. Waiting on front mounts (74 914 motor mounts) to arrive to finish install. Finally got my bus 2.0L up from SoCal and i discovered it has AMC heads on it :D . Still lookin for some 911 shift linkage, some large output flanges. Got to rip out my fiberglass dash so I can sell it and the Autometer/VDO guage setup, cause I got a CF dash on the way and some 944 guages w/yellow markings. Still need to remove my headliner, and start prepping the interior for paint. I'm still a ways off from getting the Supa back on the road let alone rolling on Porsche 17's and and brakes. I'm also planning on doing a removable rear FI apron in the near future. I also want VeeDud Customs to get my front spindle's handled. I want a 914 clutch from KEP, a shroud from FAT, 44 IDF's...cha chinge, cha ching, cha ching. I miss driving it :bawling:

Nick

NO_H2O
April 3rd 2004, 20:56
Supa, I think Zen may be selling his Fat shroud set-up. Give him a shout.

jhelgesen
April 3rd 2004, 20:59
I've been up to my eyeballs in photo work the last month, but it does pay for the parts I've been replacing in my 911. Got most of the fittings in today, so I can finish them up and hook the fuel pump up tomorrow, then try and break it in.

Just sold the 73 camper this week, new owner is doing all the prep work, going to pay me to spray it matte black for him.

Also trying to get the red 75 bus assembled for a potential buyer/trader, may swap for a nice 69 bug. Would still like to swap for a 914 or such.

Today is what I hope is my last day wearing contact lenses. Have to leave them out for the next 2 weeks. Going in for evaluation for Lasik and hopefully get zapped the next week. Giving up my trip to Rennsport 2 for it, but I've been wanting to do this for years.

If all goes well with the surgury and the 911 starts tomorrow, I'll be going to my first track event May 1st at Carolina Motor sports park. I have an incar camera to set up, so I hope to post some video when I get back.

So, after all this, I should be able to get back on the GL vert in May. I've got most of what I need for the car, except building the t4 motor (still need to get my case to Jake for machining), so I'm thinking I may start with a t1 and a 4 speed to get the car on the road. If I go that route, just have to do the suspension, put half pans in, and paint it and I can get on the road.

Oh, and I'm painting a friends 911 this summer too. No prob

NO_H2O
April 3rd 2004, 21:24
I had Lasik done 3 years ago. My eyes were real bad, I had some coke bottle that kept 2 red sore spots on my nose all my life. I now have 20/15 site in both eyes.
Best money I ever spent. :agree:

jhelgesen
April 3rd 2004, 21:26
Dave, how long was your recovery?

Panelfantastic
April 3rd 2004, 22:07
I had it done also, about three years ago.
Recovery is a snap. Your eyes will feel a little scratchy when you leave but they advise to go home and nap. I did and when I got up, they were fine. You can see the minute you get up from the chair but a little blurry for an hour or so.
The only down side, if there is one, you have to keep your eyes well lubricated so there are drops, weeks of drops, weeks and weeks of drops. (I have dry eyes anyway, it was a problem).
Being able to wear regular sunglasses... priceless.

jhelgesen
April 3rd 2004, 22:15
That seems to be what I hear the most, lots and lots of drops.

My main concern is being able to go to drive on the track 8 days after having it done. I think it should be okay.

Thanks

zen
April 3rd 2004, 23:38
wow! where to start. i did touch the car today for the first time in weeks. pulling the shocks off to get them back to boygenius. one stubborn lower bolt is keeping that from being done. impact wrench isn't even budging it. here is what is left to do:
figure out alarm and remote entry wiring
front sway bar
rebleed brakes
rear sway bar mounts to weld in then assembly
kafer cup brace
shock mount reinforcement
e-brake cable ends
shock solution, buy shocks and install all
rear speaker cabinet
passenger seat install
inner door handle cover plates
new oil cooler solution
oh, and new engine install

then there are several new websites i have lined up to work on
new house projects
two houses to take care of...still
and another little website i will be taking care of soon
day job that is running at 9,000rpm
oh, and the family

going to at least hit CYW in May and Heart of Dixie. hopefully one or both in the bug. that'll take me through the summer.

NO_H2O
April 4th 2004, 00:29
I don't know about driving on the track in 8 days, the flap needs more time to reatatch. That is way you have to use drops, so you don't move the flaps.
As for regular sunglasses, I bought 10-15 pair of cool sunglasses after I had mine done.

thomas_niji
April 4th 2004, 04:49
I am a new comer here.......I did nothing at all........ vitamin M deficit..... :bawling:

I did get these done though.......
installed stereo..
painted the pan with rust bullet..
painted my passenger door back to sky blue...the same as the rest of the car....was bright yellow......now i can only spot my car from a mile, not 2 miles....
got a bunch of gauges 914 tach and speedo... oil temp, oil pressure, a clock, fuel gauge, etc..........still figuring out how to put all of them on the dash.....
got 2 honda seats......on the way to fit them...(kinda hard with my tools stolen....)

got some new carpets.......

wanted to work more on the beast at the back.....but man i need much more dough on that.....

Panelfantastic
April 4th 2004, 06:09
Thomas, you are not the only one with that deficit. I was put on monetary restriction last week. Luckily I have funds commited already for the few items I need to make my bus run. Only run, not finish... but getting it running will be HUGE!

vujade
April 4th 2004, 10:22
ok guys, here's what I have been up to lately...

I sold two of my cars (300zx & 71 Super)
Bought a 2320 Nickies equipted T4 from Charles Navarro (For the Fasty)
Came with everything to put it into my T3 including a set of NOS Weber 44 DCNFs!
The Fasty is going to be my German Looker now
Replaced the brushes in the Fastback generator
Put a new voltage regulator in the Fastback, but the generator light is still on

I bought a 59 Beetle then put it back up for sale (it is to nice to make into a street/strip car)
I am now looking at a 67 Beetle to make into a street/strip car
I just scored a 0 mile Scat Crank for a $150!!!

thats about it :D

yetibone
April 4th 2004, 11:35
Replaced the brushes in the Fastback generator
Put a new voltage regulator in the Fastback, but the generator light is still on

Did you polarize the brushes and armature?

All I been doing is collecting parts, and having balance, and machine work done on the engine pieces for my 1303. I haven't done anything towards building it yet. I haven't even taken it out from under it's cover since I dragged it home.

I've been getting used to my new job, and moving stuff to the new house little by little. Lately I've been helping my friend re-shell his WRX after rolling it 3 times (it landed on it's wheels...he cranked it up and actually drove it away! :eek: ) After it passes a NCDMV inspection, it will come back apart, get acid dipped, roll caged, dog boxed and be a Group N rally car. He's selling his Group 2 VW GTI, and his Dodge B350 "Battlewagon" to fund the campaign.

Sue's Honduh died, so she bought a '98 Passat :cool:. It's a great riding car, one that you don't get tired of driving. It doesn't have alot of bells and whistles to break, only an optional sunroof. Her Bug is still running great, driving great, and still looking good for not being garage kept. We had a hailstorm this past Wednsday night. Sue ran into the bedroom and got the big blanket off the bed and ran out the back door with it. I ran out behind her and we covered the Bug, not knowing if the car cover already on it would be enough. 8 minutes of dime-sized hail, and nothing was damaged :p.

NO_H2O
April 4th 2004, 12:24
Welcome Thomas. How do you like the Rust Bullet? I did a tech article on building a 914 dash panel, it is on the main page under More Tech. You might be able to put the small gauges in a group to the left of the tach, or a center console, maybe a 3 gauge bracket under the dash. I also did a seat coversion(2003 Celica GTS seats) and should have done an article on that but i was rushed to get them in and installed them the night before our Southeastern Dyno Day so I didn't take any pix.(shame on me)
I got put on a long term dosage of that drug too (Nocashatol). I have been pretty lucky at swap meets and picking up used stuff. Having your tools stollen sux, I hate thieves.

Supa Ninja
April 4th 2004, 12:59
Vujade, you ever sort out what wheels your going to be running on the Fasty?
Has anyone ever seen a GL 411/412, I think they would be a little heavy but a cool looking GL.

Nick

Rob
April 5th 2004, 08:33
Ok, my progress (see also the thread in the engines section):

- Installed new headgaskets and timing belt on the EJ25
- hacked off pretty much the whole back end for clearance :)
- Got the kennedy adapter and installed the engine
- Hacked away pretty much the complete firewall for aircleaner clearance
- Bought a used wiring harness
- Bought a used MAF sensor (should be coming in today)
- Mounted the rad, only to find out I have to move it again

Things still to do:
- Get an electrical, in line fuel pump. (Any of you GTI guys have one lying around ?)
- Plumb fuel return line (may also the feed line, have to see how big it needs to be)
- Do the wiring :eek: :eek:
- Hook up the radiator
- Build cover for hole in firewall
- Build cover for radiator
- Get lexan rear quarter windows with naca ducts
- etc etc etc

...one day.... ;)

Rob.

Panelfantastic
April 5th 2004, 10:26
...all sounds really familiar. :laugh:

What stage clutch did you decide to run? My buddy is recommending a stage 2 but says I will probably want to convert to hydro operation and ditch the cable.

Building fuel lines myself today, not really hard, just tedious and frustrating.

Rob
April 5th 2004, 11:25
Hey Panel,

For now, I'm using the stock clutch.... no dinero for a good one yet.

What are you using for fuel lines ? I alreay had made a new line for the old engine and I used copper line that runs under the heaterchannel.
But I don't like the look of it. Are you running them under the bus ?

Also, (not sure if I asked this already), what are you using for a fuel pump ?

Rob

...all sounds really familiar. :laugh:

What stage clutch did you decide to run? My buddy is recommending a stage 2 but says I will probably want to convert to hydro operation and ditch the cable.

Building fuel lines myself today, not really hard, just tedious and frustrating.

Panelfantastic
April 5th 2004, 11:49
I've got it a little easier than you. On a bus, the tank is right in front of the engine so the lines are really short. I'm making up the braided one's with AN fittings (Russell pro-flex brand). -6 is the size my buddy said they use on buggies so that's what I used.
My whole package is pirated straight from what my buddy has set-up for buggies and they use a stock Volvo in-line pump. Apparently he researched and found that this one is good for what they are doing (can use the right fittings for AN, cost effective - I think $100-$115)
I understand dinero, My project budget was put on indefinate restriction last week because of new house.

thomas_niji
April 6th 2004, 02:52
The rust bullet still looks pretty good.....my feet are still on the pans...not the ground :laugh: but it's kinda pricey too.....although I was told that it is actually cheaper than the famous POR-15.....

Yea I have read that article already, great info. However, one question though: How do I run the wires from the engine to the front? My biggest problem is the firewall..... I just don't know where the wires should go....

The seat are still in my room now.....they are really nice sofas at this point..... I hope I can finish putting them within a week or two...... I made the bracket parts already.... just need to put them together, and drill some holes on the stock seat tracks.......

Thanks for your info NO_H2O

NO_H2O
April 6th 2004, 09:24
I counted all the stuff I needed to wire in the engine bay andmade a twisted wire bundle, color coded it and with rubber gromets went under the package tray and thru the body above the torsion beam. I used a nylon spywrap and some clamps to protect and secure them. Then they run under the carpet along the tunel to the front.

thomas_niji
April 24th 2004, 19:16
Hey NO_H2O

Did you need to drill a hole to run the wires? I tried to run them today, and I tried to push the new wires through where the original wires are, on the left side of the engine bay. There's a big chunk of sponge over there........ couldn't get through....... Am I doing it the way you did it....? I must say I don't quite understand how you run them.... :rolleyes:

Thank you so much....

NO_H2O
April 24th 2004, 23:43
I went out under the back seat drillrd a hole and used a gromet to seal the hole. I used a nylon spywrap to protect the wire bundle and routed it along the side and secured it with a couple of adel clamps.