PDA

View Full Version : Audi Quattro Transmission?

bugsoup
April 7th 2004, 17:02
I'm looking into the possibilities of doing something different. I see alot of late model Audi Quattro's for sale due to bad drivers wrecking them. This means the drivetrain may be salvagable in some cases from unwanted or totalled cars. What are the technical details of the quattro parts that would prevent or make difficult using them in a rear engined car.

I'd like to get at least the transmission and rear differential from one of these car to create an AWD Beetle. I realize it maybe expensive, but is it a viable option? Does the tranny rotate the correct direction to allow its use in the reverse configuration of a Beetle? If it doesn't rotate the right way, is it as simple as flipping the differential? These are the sorts of things that make this a reasonable choice. I'd like any input that you have. I have virtually no knowledge of the mechanical setup of Audis, so info would help.

super vw
April 7th 2004, 19:56
I have an 87 Audi 4000 CS Quattro, the trany is fairly large, more so than a beetles. I am not to sure if it rotates the correct direction.
But i DO KNOW that if you could pull this off...it would be TOTALY SICK!

Later
Jonathan

boygenius
April 7th 2004, 22:46
What about throwing two audi 1.8T engines in a bug. You could use the entire front suspension clip. One engine in the front and another in the rear. Use an automatic transmission so shifting would be easier. I saw a 10.06 1/4 mile ran with a twin engine turbo tiburon.

bugsoup
April 8th 2004, 23:58
Actually, I might consider just doing a front engineed Beetle. That would make it ALOT simpler. I would need to find out if there would be enough room under the hood of a Beetle to hold the Audi engine, etc. What are the approximate dimensions of the engine assembly and its relationship to the front wheels?

Of course, I would want it to be stealth. No one needs to know I've got an Audi drivetrain. I wouldn't want to change any external sheet metal more than I have to.

Then there's the issue of a radiator. Maybe I should post some questions in the engine forum and keep this one on topic. I'd still like to look into the rear engine setup though.

super vw
April 9th 2004, 00:45
yeah, for sure.
I have accualy heard of people puting a VW 4 motion system into a VW new beetle with a hot turbo engine. spending over 100 grand to do it though. not sure if its true, but i think its true.

i like the front engine idea better, although a new chassis might be in the works as i dont know if you could do it very well on the stock pan. might even be easier to do a whole tube frame and just using the beetle body. lots of work for sure. and by then its not really a full bettle, but a custom with a beetle shell. but thats still totaly cool in my book.

Later
Jonathan