PDA

View Full Version : Type 3 specific forum

Poor Realist
April 8th 2004, 20:19
It'd be for all general type 3 modifications for GL. Brakes, trans, exhaust, etc would all fall into this category, but would address all the specific nuances associated with the superior ( :laugh: ) type 3 platform.

oasis
April 10th 2004, 10:06
Although I am looking more for a '75 Super Beetle for my GL project, I was negotiating on a Type 3 (and would have purchased it if the seller didn't try the ol' bait-n-switch). I would have found a GL Type 3 forum useful for a few questions I would have had. I think it is a good idea.

zen
April 12th 2004, 18:23
help me understand what you can't get out of the forums for a T3 the way they are setup now so i can understand the value of fracturing the site into many groups? my concern is that if we break off T3 then we really probably have to break off the rest and then you still need the same level of subcategories under each. then we have doubled and tripled the number of topics.

i am not directly opposed to it if it makes sense, but want to understand the value you see.

vujade
April 12th 2004, 18:44
I dont think we need t3 specific forums, if we did that then we might as well be like Shop Talk and have all types (1 - 4).

Poor Realist
April 12th 2004, 20:21
Well, there's the front beam, the subframe which is totally different than the type 1 aside from the torsion housing and shock towers and the fact you can unbolt it from the pan, transmission mounts since there are no frame horns on IRS and basically none of the mounts will interchange, the exhaust needs for a type 3 body vs the type 1, the carb issue/fi issue with respect to height clearance, the cooling layout is totally different and requires a different scoop, the brakes are similar but all cabling is a different length, etc...

I could go on, but I just don't think it would be good to have all the T1 guys having to deal with type 3 questions and the type 3 guys wondering where to ask a specific question without it disappearing. Then again, there isn't a huge amount of traffic, so it could be just fine without it.

Your call. I'm just a T3 fanatic.

vujade
April 12th 2004, 23:09
I like the setup we have here where instead of different type forums, we have the brake, suspension, engine, etc forums.... :D

boygenius
April 13th 2004, 00:08
For right now just remind us that you have a type 3 when you post a type3 specific question. :)

Unregistered
April 13th 2004, 03:53
For right now just remind us that you have a type 3 when you post a type3 specific question. :)
Hi Poorrealist,
Yes, thats always good what boygenius suggests. If I notice your question and I have experience with it, sure I'll try to answer/help you as I use a square with a type 4 as daily transportation.

Take care,
Walter

Wally
April 13th 2004, 04:07
Sorry,
That was me.
Walter

Poor Realist
April 13th 2004, 10:15
Cool! Good to know there are others with my affliction out there. Let's keep it as is, eh?

zen
April 13th 2004, 10:52
there are plenty of T3 guys here. i think we are best keeping things as is. just to expand on the suggestions, how about prefacing your subject line with "T3?" any time you have a question that is unique to a T3? i've always wanted to look into the post smilies too. there may be a way to create some for the different types to point out platform specific questions. i'll let you know.

bugsoup
April 19th 2004, 00:23
The beauty of having such a niche in the VW world is that everything is so compact. It can alienate some topics (T3), but at least we can be sure that GL.com will never end up like VWVortex.com. They have arguements that wrestle with the differences between the S4 and A4 and if there is a big enough mechanical difference to split the categories even more. Personally, I'm glad we don't have a million different models to deal with. From what I've seen here, most people are experienced enough to help with the non type 1 questions.