PDA

View Full Version : fastest way to assemble my car...

boygenius
April 8th 2004, 23:52
OK here is the situation. I want to have my car done for the bugjam car show in November. Right now only the chassis is nearly done. I will have the chassis done by the middle of next week. I am currently spending about 30 hours a week working on my car. What is a good order in which to do the bodywork, ect... I don't want to have to do anything twice. Is 600 to 700 man hours enough time to restore a car or am I only dreaming. :laugh:

vujade
April 9th 2004, 07:17
Brandon it can be done. Look at KCW. He restored a car in like 29 days working 12 hours a day. thats like 350 man hours x 2 guys = 700 man hours.

I think its possible. Once you get it painted, we could get a few guys over there to help put it back together too.

NO_H2O
April 9th 2004, 08:10
How much body work do you have to do? If you have a good body and all you need is prep, shot it with DP primer, a couple coats of high build, block it down, guide coat, block it down, final primer, prep and shoot the color then sand and buff. It will go quick. But if you have a lot of body work it will take longer. I hate body work, that is why I had someone that likes it do mine. Mine needed alot of work.

Racelook
April 9th 2004, 17:52
The time all depends on the bodywork.. chassis is not so much work.. but with a lot of rust The body is damnnnnnnnn lots off work.. (I'm still welding on my body after 1,5 years.. Evertime there shows me an rusty place :( )

But hell yeah everything comes good.

Wiebrand

boygenius
April 9th 2004, 19:39
How much body work do you have to do? If you have a good body and all you need is prep,

I wish I had a good body. The front has extensive rust damage, the tire well is almost completely rused out. The hood seal retaining strip is rusted away and need to be replaced. The hood needs to have the trim and vent holes filled in. The front side panels need to have the replacement panel seams blended in. The doors are in pretty good shape. The right rear quater panel is from another car and needs to have the welds redone. The left rear quarter panel is dented in at the bottom and is also from another car. The decklid and the fenders I'm going to buy from CCC so thats no worry. I have to fill in all the vent holes as well as repair the fudged up radio hole in the center of my dash. Finish my fire wall and check for any more bondo thats hiding dents. I still have the entire electrical system to buy along with an engine. Oh yea I have no interior to speak of at the moment with the exception of some sheet aluminum for door panels. There are so many more things to do that I can't even think about.

boygenius
April 9th 2004, 19:43
Brandon it can be done. Look at KCW. He restored a car in like 29 days working 12 hours a day. thats like 350 man hours x 2 guys = 700 man hours.

I think its possible. Once you get it painted, we could get a few guys over there to help put it back together too.

Cool, thanks for the offer. It will be a few more months before I get it painted. Restoring my car is like a second job, with the exception that it costs me money to work.