PDA

View Full Version : transmission

cormac163
April 9th 2004, 13:41
can anyone define what exactly is the benifit of swaping to 5 speed if you are still going to get the same top speed or are you?
I am in the dillema where i do not want a car that can get me up the 1/4 mile faster than everyne else. I would like a car the can rival the boy racers on the motorway. you know cruising at 60mph putting your foot down letting the turbo kick in and getting to 100+ in a couple of seconds.
ultiately i know that its not legal to go over 70mph but it is the same in any modern car that can top out at 140mph, you cant do it because its illegal but you know you could if you wanted.
Also i have read that installing ratios other than what VW designed could mean the fan is not cooling to the proper degree leading to overheating and presumably premature part ageing, but with a separate oil cooler and porsche fan housing is this overcome?
i know there are lots of ways to put different porsche bits into the car but exactly how are the modifications done is there a set procedure or so far is it just trial and error?
I hve already done the exterior of the car and dont want to cut it as mch as possible so as far as moifications to be done would it make more sense for me to shell out on a berg 5 or a porsche box?
I have also amended my rear drum to a Kerscher disc set and 5x100 pcd so would i have to lose this and swap to porsche pattern wheels or can i keep my kerscher conversion?
i am sorry for bringing his up again

cormac

NO_H2O
April 9th 2004, 14:23
I'm going to swap to a 901 with the gearing from a 914. The 4th and 5th gears are "V" and "ZD", that would give you good hwy RPM range and extended top end. You just don't want to side step the clutch to launch it in 1st gear.

cormac163
April 9th 2004, 14:46
so what mods will you have to do to the car to get the box to fit?
do you think a complete novice could do it?

NO_H2O
April 10th 2004, 07:32
There is a good tech articel in the Tech section of the main page here. It will give you a good idea of what has to be done.

cormac163
April 11th 2004, 07:02
thanks for the heads up. its looks a bit complicated for my limited mechanical and welding experience ie none.
do you know if there is a procedure or similar tech site anywhere for fitting a berg 5 speed?
tanks again for the info!

boygenius
April 11th 2004, 10:24
I think hot VWs or VW Trends did a install article on the berg 5 speed. I read it but can't remember which magazine it was in. You still have to weld in the front cross member and notch the torsion tube and cut a hole in the body to fit the larger nosecone.

boygenius
April 11th 2004, 10:29
I have also amended my rear drum to a Kerscher disc set and 5x100 pcd so would i have to lose this and swap to porsche pattern wheels or can i keep my kerscher conversion?
i am sorry for bringing his up again

cormac

As far as I now the early 901 boxs us the 90mm type 1 sized CV. You can use you stock axles. Don't forget that you can change your stub axles to early 944 or type 181 to use 100 CVs if you want to if you get a later porsche gearbox.

Wally
April 13th 2004, 04:37
Hi Cormac,
The 5-speed is only needed if you have an engine that only makes its power in a narrow usually high rev (type 1) bandwith.
Most type 4's don't really need a 5-sp for that reason.
However, if you want to dust other quick cars, you will need s/th for strength. That is where your focus should be IMO. Porsche tranny's are stronger from the design on. Thats the main reason for using them, again IMO.
5-speed does nothing for strength, on the contrary...
Since any porsche tranny needs body mods, a reinforced type 1 tranny may be more for you.

Take care,
Walter

MattKab
April 13th 2004, 15:49
After a couple of years thinking, I'm sticking with 4 gears for my heavy Karmann '03 with T4 ~175bhp will do nicely. I'm going to spend the cost (~£750 ? ) of a good 911 5speed on my '79 AT 3.875 single sideplate T1. I've scored some T181 o/p flanges, NOS seals and gaskets, a ZF diff, 944 CV's and shafts and only need to find a reliable source of o.e. bearings and shims. I'm playing with other ratio's on paper but I'm undecided.

I use 225/45ZR17 rear tyres (same as 165 15) and would get 100mph at 4650rpm in 4th with this trans. 6500rpm would see 140mph, twice the uk limit, I like to drive for hours on end, (for years to come) without any hassle at 70mph/3250rpm ;)

I'm building for road/track/motorway so I know it won't be a very quick 1/4 mile :sleep: but will get me everywhere, even VW show's in Sweden and Germany somewhere in the future..

Matt

cormac163
April 13th 2004, 16:39
i reckon that is where i am headed also i do want to dust cars but not to the extent of tking on al the fabrication at the moment. you see i went backwards and got the body sorted and now i am going for power.
thanks for the help. i am sure i will end up putting a five speed into the car but not just yet i might try it out on my brothers 1303 we are uilding up andthen if we o a good job mine shall be the next recipient......