PDA

View Full Version : Later Head Units

GHIA69SD
April 16th 2004, 10:36
Is it possible to install a newer vw factory radio into a ghia? say a late 90's to early 2000 jetta/golf. how difficult would this be if it's possible?

Uber Affe
April 28th 2004, 23:34
Why would you want to do that? Unless it is something you're geting for free it would be a waste of money.
Put in a new stereo system...yes, it is possible...very.
Might want to goto a at least a 12 vlt system....might want to put in a75 alternator over a 55 (to handle all the extra electrical) but other than that it is actually cheaper to buy one from a store that sells good car stereos than from a VW dealership/Factory Stereo. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you question. Yes, It is entirely possible and very easy to do.
I'm going to go with a sony system that has the folding/roll & hide function on it...or maybe just stick it in the glove box to make room for extra gauges and keep the dash clean and racey lookin'! =)

GHIA69SD
April 30th 2004, 02:21
well, just saw a cheap one for sale. but worried that the code for the head unit had something to do with the main computer brain of the car working together. also like that factory /plain stock look. :o

oasis
April 30th 2004, 07:52
The codes for the VW radio units (Monsoon system, et al) are tied to the serial number of the unit itself. Whoever you are buying the unit from should supply the code. Volkswagen is very stingy about giving out the codes because otherwise would compromise the whole purpose of having the codes in the first place. Having said that, there are ways of getting it in a semi-clandestine manner.

I never gave the modern VW radio any thought. But now that someone else has thought of it, I kind of like the idea. The Monsoon system that is in my Cabrio and my wife's Golf is more than enough sound system for me. Anything more extravagant than that would obliterate engine and outside noises completely. At that point, I might as well have headphones or just stay home.