PDA

View Full Version : Put a tt dASH IN A 1303 bUG?

Uber Affe
May 6th 2004, 12:29
THINK ITS DO-ABLE?
I'm talkin the WHOLE thing. Right down to the neat little braces near the console center.

justdubbin
May 6th 2004, 14:45
You can do 'anything' if you have the know how, the skill and the all important $$$$$$$$

The thing is, is it worth doing it? will it look OK?
I think you might have a problem, similar to the problem I'm facing with my 71 Bay
The thing with the dash you have attached from a Audi TT is when you are sat in a TT you are sat in a much lower position, therefore the angles of the dials are different to that of a Bug.
It will probably look fantastic, but could you live with such a drastic modification that may not be user friendly????

Rob.

boygenius
May 6th 2004, 20:17
It might be easier and cheaper to build a dash out of fiber glass. That way you can have the gauges at the correct angle and match the air vents up if you are still going to keep them. Maybe blend the center console and the gauge surround into you custom dash. Since the gauges are probably computer controlled you could replace the gauges with a CF sheet and install your digital gauges in their place. ;)

super vw
May 6th 2004, 21:00
Yeah, somtimes its easier to start from nothing and make it. this topic has been talked about before (tt dash) but i cant remember if any one really did it. i dont even remeber if it was on this site to.

Would looks sweet though. even if it was a copy of it but in fiberglass then upolstered in leather.

NO_H2O
May 9th 2004, 19:05
This sounds like one heck of a project. Finding a TT dash might be $$$$, but if you comb the yards you might be able to come up with one cheap. I just wonder how much of the display is computer generated/controlled. Some home work might be in order prior to shelling out the $$$.
But it would look awesome.

Chris Percival
May 10th 2004, 07:41
The dash would be far too wide, you would have to narrow it significantly.. It would also be much too deep. Better to re-create it out of metal or fiberglass as others have suggested and implant the vents, knobs and dials into it...

beetle1303
May 11th 2004, 17:44
Personaly i found this modification tempting?? its actually a really good idea. think it fits the one GL pattern for the interior (functional and comfortable). but i would prefer to make a dash unique in shape and use bits from new car as the tt.

another point about dash materials is that nowadys car makers use materials that can absorb the impact of a hand for example (next time u are near a new car press the top centre area of the dash and you will see what i mean).

I m thinking of bulding basic shaped dash out of aluminium then covering it with some kind of durable foam and then trimming it with leather...Just a thought :rolleyes:

Uber Affe
May 12th 2004, 01:14
This guy is located in Austin, Texas.
This is about 2 hrs from me.
I think he does some pretty awsome work and his prices ar very reasonable.
check out his site.
Maybe he can work a group deal if someone is interested?

http://www.bigwigracecars.com/home.htm

boygenius
May 12th 2004, 01:48
Looks like the 356 dash "look" you were after. :D

Uber Affe
May 12th 2004, 13:29
yes indeedy! best part is...He says he can do it t what ever look or spec I want so the simpler it is the cheaper it gets.
(and vice versa of course)