PDA

View Full Version : Solo 1 Racing

Sandeep
September 23rd 2002, 21:13
Hi all,

For 2003, this is my goal.. http://www.soloontario.com/solo1.htm

Its called Solo 1 racing. It does not matter what type of car you drive, but depending on the mods you have, you could be racing a honda civic to a 911 TT.

Its circuit racing against time, only you vs the clock. At the end of the day, the best laptime is taken and that determines who wins the class. I'm hoping to get a 914 2.0 into my bug this winter so it should be interesting....

It should be a great test for a GL !

Any thoughts on what I should be doing suspension wise ? I'm looking for an adjustable front and rear swaybar setup...do I even need a rear sway bar ? I'm going to replace all of the suspension bushings this winter as well.

I have to replace my front shocks (they are shot) and while I'm at it, I'll replace the rear. I'm keeping the stock beetle trailing arms for now.... not going to replace with 951 alu arms. I'm going to go without the rear cup brace to start with.

Hopefully Alex will be my grease monkey while I drive !! Is anyone else in the GTA up for this challange ? It would be cool to have at least 2 cars competing. I have the tools and we could share the wrenching on each others cars.

Any thoughts on setup ?

Thanks.

Sandeep

Alex
September 23rd 2002, 21:44
I will be your grease monkey but I will have a go at it as well.
I hope that my hps will give me a little advantage over your racing experience. :hehehe:

Alex

lightning bug
September 23rd 2002, 21:50
Ahhhhh. Solo one. Good choice. You'll be running GT4 I'm assuming? I've run a little Solo one and alot of Solo2 (with my Super). This was my intention for the Super originally. I'm trying to get into club racing now (ITB Golf). Just not enough time though. Good luck with it. I would fit a rear swaybar to compensate your oversteer. Don't forget the brakes!!

Sandeep
September 23rd 2002, 22:33
Quote: Don't forget the brakes!!

big enough for ya ?

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Front.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Rear.jpg

:hehehe:

Sandeep

Andy
September 24th 2002, 04:05
Originally posted by Sandeep
Quote: Don't forget the brakes!!

big enough for ya ?

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Front.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Rear.jpg

:hehehe:

Sandeep
You need to sort that paint out!!:D Nice set up though!!

Those indicators may cause a drag on the fast straights!!

lightning bug
September 24th 2002, 21:30
They'll do........ I guess.:D

Brent Bousman
October 8th 2002, 09:21
I have a '70 Ghia which I have run SOLO 2 for a few years. I would use sway bars at both ends and change the rubber bushings out for urethane. I changed my rear torsion bar bars out for 27mm. This keeps the front tires on the ground most of the time which helps with understeer.

If I can find enough money for a new motor, I plan on changing to the new Street Modified 2 class next year since there are more people to race with in that class.

Brent

Andy White
October 8th 2002, 10:17
Hi Sandeep,

Rude looking brakes and wheels! Just out of interest...What size and ET are your rims, tyres etc. cos I still have a problem with my rear track width! (posted in the wheels and tyres forum)

Good luck with the racing next season!

Andy.

Sandeep
October 8th 2002, 12:26
Hi Andy,

I'm running 18x8.5 and 18x10 with 235/35 and 265/35 Pirelli PZeros. You can't tell in the pics but the tires stick out about 2" past the fenders.

Check the members gallery for a better shot showing how far they stick out. I bolted them on temporarily to see how they would look ! Just need the CCC fenders now...or wait till CarbonJoe comes out with his version.

I'm installing the 914 2.0 GA engine this winter. I'll definately keep everyone posted on te racing !

Sandeep

Sandeep
October 9th 2002, 12:16
What do you guys think about urethane bushings ? Are they absolutely essencial or will replacing them with new stock rubber be better ?

I haven't replaced any bushings on the car in its lifetime, but while I'm installing the T4 this winter, I may as well do the bushings and all bearings and seals.

Thanks for any replies !

Sandeep

Supa Ninja
October 9th 2002, 13:03
Sandeep,
I've been running urethane bushings in the front of my Supa for a few years and they really do stiffen up the suspension. They are coming out with new compounds that don't squeak. I believe Topline carries those. I do recommend them if you'll be competing in Solo 1. I am thinking about going to urethane in the rear also.

Brent Bousman
October 9th 2002, 13:42
I use urethane on my SOLO car that I drive on the street. Urethane is the way to go for racing but on the street it will send more vibrations through so the ride is not nearly as good as stock rubber. It's always a trade off....

Brent

SCCA WDCR SOLO2 EP Ghia

bren
October 10th 2002, 06:58
all the urethane parts ive ever used have lasted no more than a year.. they stiffen things up in the short term, but through extended use, theyve deformed quicker than rubber parts, leaving an element of slack after a while.. worst culprit was the rear torsion bar bushes i used.. the urethane one looked like the 26 year old rubbers they replaced after only a years use.. they allowed the springplate to move quite a lot.. i wasnt impressed so threw them in the bin and bought new stock rubbers.. these are still fine 4 years on... i guess urethanes are great for racing, where mileage is limited and parts are replaced more regularly, but on the street they just plain suck IMO..

PS: the fit of most urethane parts ive used is pretty poor too.. balljoint anti roll bar bushes especially.. they dont have enough material to go between the bar and the trailing arms, meaning the bar sits too close to the grub screws.. genuine rubbers fit much better...

Brent Bousman
October 10th 2002, 08:13
Bren I agree on the fit. As usual the aftermarket part never fits like the well-engineered stock German part. You must put a lot of mileage on the car to wear out the bushings. Did you grease the urethane so it reduces the friction? Maybe it's just a case of poor quality aftermarket parts (my guess).

Brent

bren
October 11th 2002, 06:37
i do around 8000 miles a year.. in my opinion nothing should wear out in that many miles! ****e aftermarket parts to blame i reckon...

Sandeep
September 26th 2003, 11:21
http://racing.kos.net/soloforums/showthread.php?threadid=1793

So far, as my car sits, I will be in Touring 2 or Touring 1. Not bad considering the 993TT brakes, 2" wide fenders and 18" wheels.

The closer I get to racing, the more practical I will get so the 18's MAY be for sale ... would like to use 17's due to being lighter weight.

Rob,

LETS PLAY ! :D

Sandeep

Rob
September 26th 2003, 11:28
Damn, I better get going with my little project.

"Rusty vs the Yellow Terror"

....to be continued........

:D

chigger
September 27th 2003, 22:19
I know the kafer cup brace is expensive, but it is amazing how well it stiffens the rear wishbone and shock towers. You can wang the shock tower with a hammer and it just vibrates. With the brace the whole pan moves. Just don't hit it too hard.

Sandeep
September 29th 2003, 09:19
I've got the brace on my workbench and will install it this winter. This is good to know !

Sandeep

Sandeep
September 29th 2003, 21:47
After much emailing, we have determined that my car will end up in 'Touring 2' with a PIP rating of 51.2%

The cutoff between Touring2 and Touring1 is 55% so I can still do a little bit of work to the car to bring it up to the cutoff level.

Should be a fun 2004 ! thats for sure :silly: Now just have to work out a video camera mount for the interior of the car !

Sandeep

Rob
September 30th 2003, 07:24
Hey Sandeep, what is that PIP stuff, I've read about it before.
Is that the % they add/substract from your time and them match it to an overall rating ?

Rob.

Sandeep
September 30th 2003, 10:10
Rob,

Actually, thats a PAX score.

PIP's are tuning points ... so from stock, the '74 beetle has a horsepower to curb weight index and a handling index. They take 70% of the HP index and 30% from the handling index to get you a base stock index.

Then if you add a cam, that costs you 1 PIP, coilovers 2 PIP ect. So each mod has a PIP attached to it.

You add this number to your base index to get a new %. Based on this new %, there are cutoffs between classes, so you know what class you would be racing in.

Kind of neat ... so I'm going to be racing Civics, Focus', and Saturns .. should be fun.

Your subaru engine swap will put you in a higher class so not sure if we'll be racing together but it will be fun ! :silly:

Sandeep

kdanie
September 30th 2003, 21:33
There used to be a good article on the CLF site by a guy that raced a type one in hillclimbs. Lots of good info. Maybe it's still there.
ken

Sandeep
October 1st 2003, 08:29
Are you talking about a handling article for hillclimbs ?

There's one on ACN by the same guy I think.

Sandeep

DORIGTT
October 1st 2003, 17:54
What's the ACN?

Rob
October 1st 2003, 20:04
AirCooled.net ?

Sandeep
October 1st 2003, 22:23
Correct

Sandeep

jakriz
November 4th 2003, 03:09
Forget about using those wheels & tyres unless they tuck up under the guards, & don't make the suspension as stiff as u can just so the tyres don't rub, u need suspension movement to get tyre warmth for traction.
Trust me sandeep, I've been down this road........
regards
Jak
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/index.mv?photo+83328.jpg

craazy Cooter
November 4th 2003, 12:08
As soon as my engine is done, I will be ready to start solo II. I already have my helmet. It looks like I will be forced into street modified. I should post my brake cooling duct pictures. Anyway, I run urethane in the front. It's smooth

Sandeep
November 4th 2003, 13:21
Thanks for the info Jak,

I'm installing 2" wider fenders this winter front and back so the wheels will tuck under no problem. I'm installing dropped spindles as well so I can use the beam adjustability to select ride height and have some decent suspension travel.

Craazy,

Please post some pics. I'd be interested to see what they look like.

Thanks,

Sandeep

craazy Cooter
November 19th 2003, 15:40
[URL=http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3332]