PDA

View Full Version : Font clip body panels???

boygenius
May 10th 2004, 20:21
OK here is the story. I have a RUSTY spare tire well. I ordered a front clip from the gas tank foward but I no longer want to replace the entire front end. I am afraid of welding in the clip at an angle and having a crooked looking car. The rest of the metal is in OK shape and can be repaired with a few metal patches without risking mis-aligning the front of the car. My question is this, can I drill out the welds of the new front clip to remove the front and bottom piece to weld onto my car without destroying the new part. I figure that I could only sell the front clip for what I would have to pay for the two maybe three repair panels so whats the point of paying all those shipping charges. Thank you...

E-boyz67
May 10th 2004, 23:23
Sure you can as long as you have a spot weld cutter so you don't drill through the other panel that you're going to sell. If you don't have one snap on sells the replacement bit that goes on the cutter. You can put it on a drill and drill the spot welds out but don't drill through the both panels only drill the panel you want to use. The size is 10mm or 5/16 and they cost about $30.

boygenius
May 10th 2004, 23:38
I don't want to sell the panel once I've removed the panels I needed. I was only saying that it wouldn't be worth selling the whole front clip to buy replacement panels. Buy the time I paid for shipping it would cost me more. The spot weld remover looks like a small hole saw bit.??? I think eastwood sells them for $15 or so.

E-boyz67
May 11th 2004, 02:51
If you didn't buy the front clip yet then just buy what you need and remove whats damage on your bug then weld the new one on.

boygenius
May 11th 2004, 18:34
I bought the front clip over two years ago. So I guess I'm stuck with it. :rolleyes:

E-boyz67
May 12th 2004, 00:10
Well looks like you'll just have to take what you need to repair and save the rest.

boygenius
May 12th 2004, 00:27
The best part is that I have a clean rust free example of what the front end is supposed to look like. I now know where to look for the spot welds. :)

E-boyz67
May 12th 2004, 03:20
Hey gb remember when you weld don't forget the weldthru primer.