PDA

View Full Version : Solid trans mounts

super vw
May 14th 2004, 14:40
Is having solid trans mounts a real bugger? as far as the extra noise and vibes?

I am thinking about geting a solid rear (rear is rear) mount then making my own front solid mount as i can seam to find any for the 1303 trans with the bellhousing style of rubber mount (metal bell shaped deal with rubber inside)
When i had the engine in the car before i remember it shakeing a lot upon startup and when applying throttle. I want to eleimintate this, im not to worried about a mild increase in noise but if its somthing thats to overpowering than i might have to think about this some more.

Im on a very tight budget so i cant aford to spend a lot on a Gene berg mount, when i could make my own.

Thanks,
Jonathan

boygenius
May 14th 2004, 19:45
I have been wondering the about the same thing. I have solid front and rear tranny mounts with straps and was wondering if my fillings will fall out. :laugh:

NO_H2O
May 14th 2004, 21:12
I don't know about solid mounts. The urethane mounts I haave put in do increase the noise/vibes in the car a good bit. I can only guess that a soild mount wold be an even greater increase.

zen
May 14th 2004, 21:57
sit on the engine. it should be about the same. :D

i have never run them, but i hear they are harsh and only for racing or the hardcore driver. just word of mouth though.

craazy Cooter
December 18th 2004, 20:29
Probably the worst thing about solid mounts is that they will vibrate all of the fasteners loose on the car. You will have to periodically tighten all pan and body/suspension fasteners on a regular basis. Also cracks can develop in the pan and body from the vibration and stress. Spot welds tend to pull through too. Youll have to seem weld everything.

vujade
December 19th 2004, 21:00
Here's a setup that Muffler Mike recommended to me for my car.....

Solid rear yoke mount
Gene Berg Mid Mount w/ Rubber Pads (not the solid one)
Rubber Nose Cone Mount

He said he ran this setup on a street car for 10 years with out any issues.
Said have the rubber mid and front mounts help with being less rigid and
the solid rear mount helped alot with keeping things from braking...

vennard
December 23rd 2004, 19:16
A friend of mine runs solid mounts on a so-called street car.Its damn loud!!
okay for a saturday special I suppose but not for a drive to the strip, at least not unless its at the end of your road! Also you feel a bit silly when he stsarts it up if your in it cos you feel like yuor wobbling side to side until the motor kicks in.