PDA

View Full Version : door handles, other than stock VW Beetle?

super vw
May 25th 2004, 22:26
Anyone ever put another style of door handle on there beetle before? I think a more modern handle would be trick, and fit with the GL look very well.

Any ideas? how hard do ya think it would be to rig somthing up... what to look for as for accuation of the handle?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Chris Percival
May 26th 2004, 03:56
Hows about the rear handles from a 411/412? No locks! You heard it here first.. :)

oasis
May 26th 2004, 11:41
Amazingly, I was ducking into my Cabrio during a thunderstorm that suspended my tennis match yesterday and thought about the door handles it has and wondered if they could be applied to a Super Beetle (with or without the electric cicada). I know there are remote entries available for those who want to shave their door handles completely off, but that's not my style.

I was afraid to ask about such a detail when I chatted with a local guru I had just met last night since networking a proper car was Priority One. I'm glad it has come up coincidentally here.

super vw
May 26th 2004, 14:51
Are you talking about the early cabrio (i think mk1 or 2)? if so i wouldent use those, i have the SAME exact door handles on my Audi 4000 quattro (1987) and so does my brother... they are prone to breakage and dont oppen well when worn (or at all). or are you talking about the newer cabrios?

honit
May 26th 2004, 16:49
They make a replica golf A3 handle that is fitted to an A2, I was thinking of fitting those, dont know how its gonna work yet though. But 1 thing is for sure, the A2 handles are horrible.

super vw
May 26th 2004, 23:35
Hmmm, well yeah, the A2 style handles are garabage...almost everyone i know who has them on a car has at least one handle that sticks and dosent work, the exception is my friend with a 92 jetta (i think its a 92) that only has 60K original miles... i keep telling him that the day will come :D

oasis
May 27th 2004, 11:48
Are you talking about the early cabrio ... or are you talking about the newer cabrios?

Mine is a 2002.

Steve C
May 27th 2004, 19:16
Hi

I saw some Honda ones fitted to bug on Shoptalk forums, I think the picture has gone now, they looked nice.

Steve C