PDA

View Full Version : 911 H4 in Oval window/custom wiring

MacBughead
May 26th 2004, 15:00
Hi all. Relatively new here, but been reading a lot. Just went through all the electrical posts to find some info but since i couldnt find it, i'll just ask the question here since there is a lot of knowledge around. I am not running a "Germanlooker" It will be more like a restolooker if you want to put a name on it. But in my defence,being a 1953 export ragtop, it wil be lowered dramaticly, have 17" porsche cup wheels, and when everything else is done have something like a 2 liter engine in the back. enough chitchat now, the first question would be, will i be able to put old type porsche 911 headlights in my old type fenders without modifications? And the second one, I dont want to use the old wiring, being 51 years old so I want a custom job. Ive been to painless performance but cant find their set someone in another thread was telling me about. and maybe there are some pointers and things i should or really shouldnt do.

Hope someone out there can help me out.
thanx

Ruben " Bughead "

boygenius
May 26th 2004, 20:02
I think the easiest way would be to use your stock headlights and just use the 911 lense cover. I'm no expert but I think they are a direct replacement for the stock VW lenses...

MacBughead
May 27th 2004, 01:38
The whole idea of the porsche set up is that I have the H4 lights, the added "custom Look" is concidered a bonus. :laugh:

Steve C
May 27th 2004, 07:39
Hi

The light will fit the hole, the top of the rim attaches the same. The bottom dosent use the herman munster screw, they use a bracket inside the headlight bucket, they are not to hard to fabricate.

Steve C

MacBughead
May 27th 2004, 10:46
Thanx a lot 4 the replies.

I found a couple of NOS 911 hella H4 units on ebay germany
( http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7903022128&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 )

What dou guys think these are worth( concidering i am in europe ), Buying them new would probably cost me about € 300 ( about $360 us )

also would the H4 units make a big diference with the stock ( 12 volts ) headlights?

Thanx again

Steve C
May 27th 2004, 19:20
Hi

I paid about $600 AU for a new pair with paintable rim covers.

Steve C