PDA

View Full Version : How well does carbon fibre handle pressure?

miller
June 7th 2004, 03:11
I want to make a carbon fibre intakemanifold. I was just wondering what pressure carbon fibre could take and how well would it seal? Thanks

boygenius
June 7th 2004, 15:04
I have seen it used in the motorcycle industry with good results. I have seen it used as air boxes, frames and sub-frames, exhausts and wheels. I have even seen it used in small airplane construction as the main material of the cabin. What amount of boost pressure are you going to use. Why not use aluminum for the intake???

miller
June 8th 2004, 01:44
I dunno 30lbs max I guess. Aluminum would be nice but I would have to be able to weld it. I can try to gas weld the stuff but Carbon fibre sounds simpler and I can do more with it.

70dragbug
June 8th 2004, 09:28
Hi Miller,

Carbonfiber holds up to pressure just fine.I work at Airbus and we use carbonfiber watertanks for the potable water system it holds 75 psi air pressure.Also the pressure bulkhead on our new aircraft is also carbonfiber and holds cabin pressure 8 +psi but it has a lot of area.
By the way what part of Oregon are you from?I´m from CoosBay/Northbend!

-Mark-

SilverBullet
June 8th 2004, 10:21
Hi Miller,

Carbonfiber holds up to pressure just fine.I work at Airbus and we use carbonfiber watertanks for the potable water system it holds 75 psi air pressure.Also the pressure bulkhead on our new aircraft is also carbonfiber and holds cabin pressure 8 +psi but it has a lot of area.
By the way what part of Oregon are you from?I´m from CoosBay/Northbend!

-Mark-
You working on A380? We will be the launch customer!

70dragbug
June 9th 2004, 01:45
Hi Silverbullet,
Actually I work on the Flightline for the single isle aircraft in Hamburg(A318,A319,A320,A321) but I get a lot of info on the A380.After the Rollout who knows I might go to the flightline there. :)
Who do you work for? Air France?

-Mark-

SilverBullet
June 9th 2004, 04:01
Singapore Airlines, currently flying the B744. Flew the A343 too, nice. :)

samcat
June 9th 2004, 05:31
My Dad works for Airbus in Bristol (uk) on the A320M :D

Small world!

Cya,
Sam C

70dragbug
June 9th 2004, 06:49
Samcat,
yes it is a small world!I work with a lot of English guys just about everyday(Airbus UK)who came from Bristol! :D

-Mark-

samcat
June 9th 2004, 07:16
Well, if you happen to speak to my Dad (Phillip or Phil Catchesides) say Hi for me :D

CYa,
Sam C

miller
June 10th 2004, 20:24
I live in Tualatin about 15min away from portland.