PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-in roll bar or roll cage???

Kafer_Mike
June 25th 2004, 15:25
I'm looking for a source for a decent bolt-in roll bar (4-point) or roll cage (6-point) here in the US. I've looked at the RLR 4-point, but it's a bit pricey @ $450. And don't want some cheap Bugpack "show bar". Any suggestions???

LOAF
June 25th 2004, 15:31
Kafer,

there was one on thesamba selling cheap..

Believe it was a 4 point..

I was interested and awaiting a reply to see if it will fit a vert..

Alex

Bill K.
June 26th 2004, 02:28
I chose RLR despite the price. I want as safe a bug as possible. I consider it good insurance and price of admission for my project. I owe it to my friends and family to have it. If you can muster the bucks, get one.

The RLR bar is excellent quality, installs easy, and has side door bars that are pretty easy on entry/exit of the front seats. Access to the rear seat bites. If you're beefing your motor, consider adding the traction bar. It bolts to the bottom of the rear bars under the luggage compartment (sandwiching the skin) and bolts to the sides of the rear transmission mount. The chromoly option is a good way to save a few pounds while stiffening the chassis and protecting yourself/passenger. It comes bar metal, so be ready to paint or powdercoat.

I'm using Procar Rally seats and there's plenty of clearance with the side door bars. With stock seats there is about 1" clearance to the side door bars. The horizontal rear bar doesn't limit normal driving seat positions.

Keep your tires on the pavement and the SUV's out of your lap,
Bill

boygenius
June 26th 2004, 18:49
You might want to check with your local performance shops as they might make custom cages.

Kafer_Mike
June 26th 2004, 22:59
I want as safe a bug as possible. I consider it good insurance and price of admission for my project. I owe it to my friends and family to have it.
Totally agree with you Bill. I was just inquiring about less expensive alternatives to the RLR bar with comparable quality and saftey. It doesn't look like they exist, so I guess I'll be saving a little longer and getting an RLR bar... ;)