PDA

View Full Version : 944 e-brake adapters...

boygenius
June 28th 2004, 21:37
Would anybody be interested in buying/making some e-brake adapters for the 944 swap? I am almost finished with mine and I can take some measurements if anybody is interested.

Something like this.

DORIGTT
June 28th 2004, 23:32
I'm interested in acquiring a set for my Ghia

boygenius
June 29th 2004, 00:03
Cool, thats 1 so far. I think being able to buy them help out a lot of people that don't have access to a welder. :agree:

LOAF
June 29th 2004, 09:55
BG

Not having taken the body off yet, I have not idea what is in store for me..

How does this work.. These get welded to the Beetle torsion housing?

Do you keep the 944 Cables that come off the calipers..

Can this be used with the Alum. Arms.

How much..

Hopefully not to expensive, Just bought the 14mm/12mm from another member, some new tires for my wifes truck and some new tires for my car..

Man when it rains, it pours..

Either way if it will make it easier, I am in..

Can you post a pic showing where they get mounted..

Thanks
ALex
Lost and Confused.

kiwivw
June 29th 2004, 20:04
I would be interested in a set, how much?

boygenius
June 29th 2004, 21:33
[QUOTE=LOAF]BG

Not having taken the body off yet, I have not idea what is in store for me..

How does this work.. These get welded to the Beetle torsion housing?

Do you keep the 944 Cables that come off the calipers..

Can this be used with the Alum. Arms.

How much..

Either way if it will make it easier, I am in..

Can you post a pic showing where they get mounted.. [QUOTE]

They are used to adapt the beetle e-brake cables to the 944 e-brake hardware. The 944 uses a pin with special cir-clip to secure the cable to the shoe spreaded and the beetle uses a swan-neck hook to retain the cable.

You can use stock cables with the (elbow) ends filed down a bit with the aluminum arms.

boygenius
June 29th 2004, 21:42
I would be interested in a set, how much?

I have contacted a shop already and am waiting for a reply. I don't have the time or the resources to make them myself.

LOAF
June 30th 2004, 10:55
BG

Sounds good..

So to recap..

You keep the stock beetle cables going to the 944 E-brakes.. You use this nifty adapter in place and some washer to add some tension by where it enters the Alumn Arms..

Is that correct..

Plus I am interested.. looks cool.. I haven't taken the rotors off the rear assembly yet.. so that is why it did not make sense..

I need to pickup a rear brake caliper rebuild kit, rotors and pads.. So I was holding off..

ALex

boygenius
June 30th 2004, 22:11
BG

Sounds good..

So to recap..

You keep the stock beetle cables going to the 944 E-brakes.. You use this nifty adapter in place and some washer to add some tension by where it enters the Alumn Arms..

ALex

You have to file the end of the cable where it goes into the trailing arm from 14mm diameter to 12mm diameter for the aluminum trailing arm. If you are using steel arms you shouldn't have to modify the cables at all. I added the washers to take up some slack in the cables since I file down the ends too much. I also have old emergency brake shoes and wanted some adjustability in the system for when I get new shoes and rear rotors.

55rag
July 13th 2004, 00:53
I'd be interested in a set if it's not to late.

Do you have prices yet?

Thanks,
Jason

boygenius
July 13th 2004, 01:50
I'd be interested in a set if it's not to late.

Do you have prices yet?

Thanks,
Jason
Haven't heard back from the machine shop yet. I'll try again maybe he never got the e-mail. I have all the dimensions so I can send anybody interested in making them the plans.

55rag
July 13th 2004, 20:53
I would love to get the dimensions if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Jason

boygenius
July 14th 2004, 00:09
If you have a fax line that would be great since I could send the dimensions full size. What I did was place the part in the copier at work and made a few copies. I then wrote down the important dimensions. Let me know how you want it sent.

55rag
July 14th 2004, 10:52
Thanks,
You can fax it to 714-688-5407. I appreciate it.

LOAF
July 14th 2004, 13:27
BG,

If Machine shop deal doesn't fall thru would you be willing to post a scanned full size pic.. For some of us with no access to a fax

Alex

boygenius
July 14th 2004, 21:56
If Machine shop deal doesn't fall thru would you be willing to post a scanned full size pic.. For some of us with no access to a fax

Alex

I don't have a scanner. :(

There are a couple of machine shops in town , it's just finding the time to stop by and see if they are interested. I'll see what I can do monday. :)

LOAF
July 14th 2004, 22:17
Ok,

One more piece to this endless puzzle :)

Thanks
Alex

LOAF
August 3rd 2004, 16:01
BG,

Any luck with the shop..

I have another idea, instead of the scan but was wondering what had happened..

Thanks

ALex

boygenius
August 8th 2004, 10:46
Sorry for the long wait for a responce. I was really busy these last few weeks and I just got back from vacation this morning.

55RAG... did you still want the dimensions faxed to you???

I will try to get to the local machine shops in town to see if they are intested since work has slowed down enough that I can leave during business hours. :D

kafercup
August 23rd 2004, 15:33
I need some also, please let me know if they become available. :agree:

55rag
August 23rd 2004, 20:39
Boygenius,
That would be great. Do you still have my fax number?

Thanks,
Jason

kafer.chris
August 24th 2004, 16:40
let me know if they come on the market ..

would you be able to post to the UK??

cheers chris :)

boygenius
August 25th 2004, 23:17
55rag you can expect the fax tomorrow.

I pulled the adapters out of my car and I will bring them to work tomorrow and bring them by the machine shop. I'm not lazy I just have the worst case of adult ADD in the world. :laugh:

let me know if they come on the market ..

would you be able to post to the UK??

cheers chris

If I can ever get these made cheap enough I would be happy to post them to the UK. Although you might want to check out Kersher, they make them I think. If you need them soon that would be an option and the shipping might be cheaper. ;)

zen
August 26th 2004, 09:00
BG, fax it to me and i will post it here. fax number is the same as my home number.

boygenius
August 26th 2004, 21:38
BG, fax it to me and i will post it here. fax number is the same as my home number.

Will do. I would have faxed that out today to 55rag except for the fact that I was rear ended on the way to work. Who knew cars could fly. :laugh: I spent all day talking to insurance companies and getting X-rays at the hospital. :(

zen
August 27th 2004, 08:26
man, sorry to hear that. too many of those on here lately. so are you OK? good thing you don't have my 951, huh?...yet. [this is a subliminal message...i will be closing on my old house next week...garage goes up an my new place within months then...951 goes up for sale...BG buys 951...BG happy]. :D

fax it when you can and i will get it up here. frankly, wish i would have gone this direction with my brakes, but the brain cells weren't all firing at the time.

boygenius
August 27th 2004, 20:16
Yea I'm fine. I was stopped when a focus hit me from behind at about 50mph, the force of the impact threw the rear of my car about 6 feet in the air. It was actually kinda fun, in a sick sort of way. :eek: The car is at the shop and I am still waiting to hear if it will be repairable or totaled. :bawling: Right now I'm cruising around in a rental Hyundi Elantra... Gas gauge hasn't moved yet...

You should have recieved the fax at around lunch time if figured out how to work the darn thing...

55rag... I will send it to you tomorrow since I lost the paper I had your number on with all of the insurance papers.

I will have to wait until Monday to get the adapter out of my car since it went flying in the crash and I couldn't find it that morning...

zen
August 27th 2004, 21:31
got the fax. will post tomorrow. wife almost threw it away. said she didn't know what the hell someone was faxnig that for. :rolleyes: :laugh:

glad you are fine. this one wasn't your fault, but you still managed to destroy yet another motor vehicle. :eek:

boygenius
August 28th 2004, 00:36
glad you are fine. this one wasn't your fault, but you still managed to destroy yet another motor vehicle. :eek:

LOL. The curse strikes again... :eek: :D

zen
August 28th 2004, 16:30
here is BG's diagram for the 944 e-brake end to fit a stock VW cable.

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/944ebrakecableendsmall.jpg

LOAF
August 29th 2004, 13:23
BG,

Ouch sorry to hear about the incident.. Hopefully your still feeling ok.. no back or neck pains.. Hope you feel better..

Also thanks for coordinating the post of the Adapter.. My only question is about how big should this thing be.. (roughly) Some specs would top this off.. and save me from cutting and building to size..

Thanks
ALex

boygenius
August 29th 2004, 14:37
I'm feeling better already. :D When I go to the shop where my car is on Monday I will get the adapter out of it to take some measurements. I was originally just going to fax it so it would have been full size but I will take the picture and create fixed points with exact measurements.

zen
August 29th 2004, 17:57
all of it is the stock 944 bracket isn't it? didn't you just shape the hook into it?

boygenius
August 29th 2004, 18:14
all of it is the stock 944 bracket isn't it? didn't you just shape the hook into it?

I had to add some metal with a welder and then gring some more off in places to get the desired shape. If I can give exact measurements than someone would be able to print out the adapter and trace it onto a metal plate and bingo, instant adapter... :laugh: :agree:

D.Irwin
November 15th 2004, 12:15
I would like some of the adapters if you get them made.