PDA

View Full Version : roof gutter removal

superbug73
July 14th 2004, 20:52
I want to get rid of those rusty roof gutters on my super. I know how to do it untill I get to the door. when I cut some of the gutter away above the door what do I weld on to? I have also asked this question at shop talk forums but no body is helping me over there

justdubbin
July 15th 2004, 16:54
I've been trying to picture in my head the part you are talking about, if I'm right you should understand what I'm about to say .....

Remove approx 6inches of gutter either by a grinder or hacksaw, then with a pointed hammer (like the bottom one in the picture)
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/autobodysupplies.safeshopper.com/images/bj0h17c8.jpg
Beat both edges about 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the bodyline, then fill with weld making sure you get good penatration without too much heat, when you have done this section MISS out 6 inches (to retain shape and strength) start all over repeating untill you have done all the sections that you can't to the rear of, then go back and do the bits you left in for strength.

I hope this helps.

Rob.

Steve C
July 16th 2004, 09:04
Hi

A friend of mine did it on an Mini, he removed all the panels and rebent all the sections where the seams were so that they were on the inside. There is bug I see often that has had this done a long time ago, it now looks pretty crappy as all the bog has cracked up.

Steve C

kra710
July 16th 2004, 11:39
I was seriously considering it for my bus since there was so much surface rust, but the work involved and the fact that when id crack my windows for some air at speed water would pour in changed my mind, I was going to do it myself then got estimates, waay tooo much to make it look right, pretty much all you do is seperate the gutter which is welded pretty good and smooth over with fiberglass, which i can imagine invite rust since even when you remove all visible there is rust still deep within the metal that may surface back. Ive seen 1 bug done right and it looked great, but now i know the work involved i dont think its worth it, but thats just me, sissal wheel that junk, itll make it look rust free again

superbug73
July 16th 2004, 14:30
I forgot to say the guter is pretty much GONE it look like the dude that did the work put like some thin sheet metal in and FILLed the gutter in with bondo but the thing is on the left side the gutter is perfect. If I get a new rear quarter do ney ones come with the part that you bend over the oute rskin of the roof? that will fix half of the gutter if so

justdubbin
July 22nd 2004, 07:49
If I get a new rear quarter do ney ones come with the part that you bend over the oute rskin of the roof? that will fix half of the gutter if so

I think you will find it very difficult to find a rear NOS 1/4, but then again you might as your in the USA, here in the UK theres NO chance of finding one :(

Rob.

superbug73
August 25th 2004, 16:01
is the 1/4 on a std the same as on a super?