PDA

View Full Version : "Choosing Brakes" tech article

NYBugman1972
October 1st 2002, 16:23
I was reading the "Choosing Brakes" article and noticed the Kerscher/944 caliper method. Is there any way that can be adapted for use on a 1302? That means retaining the 1302 stock/MaXX struts (i have MaXX's). It seems like a low cost but effective method of getting good braking power.

Worst comes to worst, i'll just go for the Remmele 13" rotor kit in a couple of years :)

Alex
October 1st 2002, 16:44
I think the easiest way is just to get the Kerscher vented disk brake kit. You can also get it with a 4pot Girling race caliper.

If you really want the 944 Turbo caliper you would have to make a bracket to bolt it on to the spindle and you would have to make sure that the caliper is mounted so that the disk is centered in the caliper.
There is one thing though that you should now....the Kerscher disk is narrower than the 944 disk. I think the Kerscher is 24mm thick and the Porsche front is 28mm.

Hope that helps.

Alex

NYBugman1972
October 1st 2002, 17:34
Would the 4mm difference be a major problem?

My theory behind all this is that $ solves everything. Not that i'm loaded or anything, but I'd put down more money for less trouble.

Alex
October 1st 2002, 19:24
The kit sold by Remmele and other tuners with the Kerscher disk and the Boxster caliper has the same problem with the disk width. I was told that it is not really a problem but you would have to ckeck your pads more often because you can not allow them to wear as much......otherwise they will fall out of the caliper. You might want to look at converting to a 944 Turbo front setup if you want a 4 pot caliper. I am sure Superman will know exactly what you need to do. I tried to get to his 944 brake article but the link seems to be not working anymore.
If you do not need a 4 pot caliper the vented Kerscher setup is a very good setup. Combined with the rear Kerscher disk kit I believe you either are allowed 200HP or a top speed of 200km/h by German TUV. Not that we care about TUV here in North America but this is to prove the quality of the brake kit.

Alex

NYBugman1972
October 1st 2002, 21:26
The only problem I have with the 944 setup is that I need to convert to a 1303 suspension, or so I understand. I practically just bouht my 1302 MaXX struts, so im not looking to switch suspensions AGAIN.

I do like the looks of the CSP/Kerscher kit, but that Remmele 13" rotor kit is just like WOW!

I have time, anyway.

greenterbo
October 16th 2002, 14:33
Originally posted by Alex
The kit sold by Remmele and other tuners with the Kerscher disk and the Boxster caliper has the same problem with the disk width. I was told that it is not really a problem but you would have to ckeck your pads more often because you can not allow them to wear as much......otherwise they will fall out of the caliper. You might want to look at converting to a 944 Turbo front setup if you want a 4 pot caliper. I am sure Superman will know exactly what you need to do. I tried to get to his 944 brake article but the link seems to be not working anymore.
If you do not need a 4 pot caliper the vented Kerscher setup is a very good setup. Combined with the rear Kerscher disk kit I believe you either are allowed 200HP or a top speed of 200km/h by German TUV. Not that we care about TUV here in North America but this is to prove the quality of the brake kit.

Alex

What do the Kersher kits run and where would i get it? Does it solve the problem of shimming of the lower ball joint that is required to convert a 1303 front drum brakes to 944 porsche? This shimming requirement I derived from the article at www.performanceghia.com
Have you seen it?

Alex
October 16th 2002, 15:21
The Kerscher vented front disk is 500$ at CSP USA. It goes onto the stock spindle. I am not sure if there are any requirements for Supers but I do not think so. It should be a bolt pn procedure.
I only saw the B/J front beam kit.

Alex

greenterbo
October 16th 2002, 18:08
I read in a post here or STF of SBO, do not recall which one, that those were stock ghia brakes made wider. Pads are same size, but the rotors and calipers are wider to accommodate the vents. If it is true what gain, is it other than heat dissipation?

kiwivw
October 16th 2002, 20:59
Does CSP USA have a website?
I know CSP germany does.
And does the CSP kit fit both a standard and CB drop spindle ,would it be the drum or disk version?

Cheers
Craig

zydeco
October 16th 2002, 22:06
Originally posted by kiwivw
Does CSP USA have a website?

The got one at http://www.classicandspeedparts.com/ but it talks mainly about Porsche 912/356 stuff. You can call him at (626) 445-0108.

Brian

Steve C
October 17th 2002, 10:58
Hi

I used a stock rotor, removed the brake surface and then bolted 911 rotors to the back of the stock rotor.

Steve C

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/pb_1.jpg
http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/pb4.jpg

greenterbo
October 17th 2002, 12:40
Wow cool setup! So you used which "stock setup with the 911 rotors? What struts are those?

DORIGTT
October 17th 2002, 17:54
Hey Steve C,

I've got a few questions for you...

What kind of "ab"use does your brake set-up see?

Which Porsche rotor are you using?

How about the rear brake set-up?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin J Hale

Alex
October 17th 2002, 18:37
Steve,

how about a nice tech article or a few pictures for the brake gallery?

kiwivw,

it should not matter which spindle you use....you can bolt up stock brakes to both spindles too ;) .

greenterbo,

TUV Germany allows 65-70hp with front disk brakes and 136hp with the vented Kerscher kit. You already mentioned the big advantage of them.....heat dissipation.

Steve C
October 17th 2002, 20:47
Hi

You can see a few more photos here.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/porsche_brake_photos.htm

The struts are 1302 with a local mod the same as Jak Rizzos, I give them heaps, I will do a an article for the site, doing it this way I ended up with no track increase, they were stock Porsche pattern Beetle rotors (I guess you could also use stock drum to do this as well) they are Porsche 911 rotors. The front calipers are 996 rears and Im using Boxsters on the rear. Im thinking about putting Boxster fronts on now

NYBugman1972
October 17th 2002, 21:19
I would kill for a tech article on your setup. It's just what I'm looking for. Do you think one could modify this method for use with a larger rotor (i.e. 13")?