PDA

View Full Version : 944 brakes/16inch Fuchs/66 Beetle

bugmeister
October 3rd 2002, 04:28
I really love Fuchs, but was wondering before purchase whether they will fit under the fenders of '66 Beetle with a N/A 944 brake conversion.

I was thinking about 16x6 all round with 195/60 series tyres. Is there any Fuchs/944/'66 combo that would fit, if so, can you please provide Fuch dia./size/offset f/r, tire width/profile f/r. Should I be shooting to purchase Fuchs with a particular offset, and if yes, what model can you source them from.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Alex
October 3rd 2002, 10:32
The 6x16 Fuchs has an offset of 36. I am not sure if that will fit under the stock fender......I have not done it.
The numbers are not that bad so I think it that it might fit.

Front:
You can fit 7X17 ET52 with a spacer. You have 1 inch less width and you would not need the spacer.

Rear:
You can fit 7x17 ET52 some actually have fitted 8.5X17ET47.
Both require a spacer. With the Porsche 944 brake that increases the track by 26mm the spacer is not required anymore.
The ET52 7x17 rim might still require a little spacer so it will not hit the spring plate. I am not sure about that though.
It seems that the bigger problem will be the rear.

If you would use Kerscher brakes it should fit without any problems. The track increase of the Porsche brake though makes it difficult. This is just my opinion. I have not seen cars that did it but they might be out there. Do not just throw out your idea unless you are sure that it will not fit. Others might be able to help you more than I can.

Alex

ricola
October 3rd 2002, 11:00
I am running this combo on my speedster but run a couple of degrees negative camber to fit inside the body with 205 tyres.
Pics on my website, clearance is very tight!

Rich

bugmeister
October 3rd 2002, 19:08
Thanks for the info guys. What rim styles come in 17x7 ET52? Any sites out there that list all the available styles with available size/what model released on/offset?

bugmeister
October 3rd 2002, 19:16
A Q for you Ricola, what are the steel rims on your website. I have to say that i'm a proponent of the 'sleeper' look, so the are very interesting.

Also another general Q, what are generally excepted to be the best way to widen beetle fenders? Fiberglass i assume.

ricola
October 4th 2002, 06:09
The steel rims I used are space saver wheels from a 944, they normally come with those strange inflatable tyres with a collapsed sidewall that you inflate when fitted. I then had them powdercoated in silver. Good for the sleeper look, but I fancied some lower profile tyres on a wider rim for improved handling...

Rich

kdanie
October 4th 2002, 14:38
I have a set of 5.5" 912/911 steel wheels/chrome Porsche hubcaps on my '68 (IRS) with 205 in back and 195 in front with N/A 944 disks. The back fit ok but close, the front beam is narrowed 1" on each side and I have about 1" to the fender lip so I think it would be ok with a stock beam.
Not exactly apples and apples but it may help.
I like the stealth look too.
ken