PDA

View Full Version : 1303 dash help

Steve C
September 13th 2004, 07:00
Hi

I have sold my yellow 1302 and Im now building a 1303. I have my new 1303 project now and just looking at the stock speedo behind my sports steering wheel, the top of the steering wheel really blocks the speedo. Has anyone else found this? Im going to make a custom dash using a Spa speedo/tacho combo, should I lift the guages up higher?

Im going over to the dark side as well, I have sold my wasserboxer and have bought a 2 litre MY03 Subaru STI motor for this car.

Steve

zen
September 13th 2004, 08:52
will be good to hear how you progress through the new project. has for gauge fitment, obviously seating position is going to be a key, and more important, factor. i would work that out first then determine where the speedo needs to go. if the seating position will not change, your steering wheel is the next big factor. is this for street or track or both?

LOAF
September 13th 2004, 09:27
Steve

No, you don't want that engine in your car.. I will trade and ship my 02 US Spec WRX engine (w/ ECUTEK ECU) and let you put that in the Bug..

Man you are one crazy guy, and I can't wait to see what that looks like..

Keep us posted.. Has been one of my dreams to do the same, but for now way outside my abilities..

Alex

beetle1303
September 13th 2004, 18:58
I strongly agree with what zen said about the seat position. Its tottaly ctitical.I ve got the same problem in my 1303.im using the stock seats with a luisi steering wheel which is about 30cm dia and i cant see from 30 to 130km/p. Im planning on using a sparco steering wheel (either lap5 or mugello) and also sparco torino2 seats (reclining) and also fit the speedo about 2cm higher (to clear the bottom part this time) depending on the length of the new boss.

Try to imagine this: by looking at the car with the driver's door open focus on the dash/steering wheel part. observe that there is an imaginary triangle.

This is formed by the centre of the speedo towards its lower end then allong the steering boss to the streering wheels plate and back to the speedos centre.

Now if you lower your head's position you will be able to see more of the top part of the speedo.but your steering wheel may still be in the middle.

Steve C
September 13th 2004, 20:28
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I might stick the drivers seat in car and have a look. This car will be an almost daily driver and will see some track use, the motor I bought is 206 kw from the factory, should be able to get a bit more out it if needed. Im going to move the tranny forward about 100 mm to help with weight distribution.

Steve

Superman
September 13th 2004, 20:41
sports steering wheel, the top of the steering wheel really blocks the speedo

It's a factory flaw, all (Sports Bugs) were like that.

SilverBullet
September 13th 2004, 20:51
I fitted 930 turbo seats and fitted 924 steering wheel, as the seats will bring you lower and the steering wheel has a big dia, I can see the whole speedo, although the steering is not the nicest, it does perform its function well. :)

NO_H2O
September 14th 2004, 03:16
I agree that the seats and steering wheel should be in it before you plan the dash. I had to replan my dash after I changed steering wheels. But the new dash is much nicer.

Steve C
September 14th 2004, 07:48
Hi

Still havent put the seat in but the only way I can see around it is to raise the guage level up or down. Im going to graft on a custom binacle and have the dash recovered.

Steve

Vincent
September 14th 2004, 16:46
Steve, your yellow 1302 has been an insperation to my own project sorry to hear it is gone I hope it found a good home. I am sure your 1303 will be a rocking car are you going with the areo fenders again?

Steve C
September 15th 2004, 08:12
Hi

Thanks Vincent. My 1302 had done nearly 500,000 ks and was starting to crack up. Ive always wanted to do a 1303, I love the big front window.

Steve

Superman
September 15th 2004, 23:00
I love the big front window.

Yes Sir :cool: :agree:

Steve C
September 16th 2004, 19:08
Vincent

I just realised that I didnt answer your question, I using the Aero fenders again, I also bought a whale tail for the car, I havent seen it yet but its a new design by Richard Holzl the guy that made the aeros to start of with, it has an adjustable wing and 2 inlets that look like squased TV sets, should be useful for the air intake on the motor. I think its a GT1 copy

Steve

Vincent
September 16th 2004, 19:58
I am still thinking of going with the areo fenders as well. send me a pic or link to the spoiler could use that cooling for my intercooler on the 13B turbo

Steve C
September 16th 2004, 20:08
Hi Vincent

I bought it while its still in the mold, so I havent seen it yet, I will post some pics when I get it. It will have the intake pod each side and an area that would be suitable for an intercooler in the middle.

Steve

Superman
September 16th 2004, 20:54
Steve, from your description it sounds like a GT2 spoiler.

http://www.carsandtrains.com/diecast_king/autoart/ut_porsche_gt2_si1.jpg

Vincent
October 6th 2004, 00:29
Steve where can i get the Areo Guards?